Welcome to UK Thrash!

Widdley Widdle or Oooohmmm Ahhhhh

Chat about playing musical instruments

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Postby Metal Iain on Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:31 pm

I like players who use some bluesy touches in there solos, like Steve Morse but I'm not into Blues really. People like SRV, Dick Dale and Walter Trout are (were) all fucking nutcases. I think SRV used something stupid like a 15 on the top E!
Metal Iain

Postby MartinC on Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:49 pm

Metal Iain wrote:I like players who use some bluesy touches in there solos, like Steve Morse but I'm not into Blues really. People like SRV, Dick Dale and Walter Trout are (were) all fucking nutcases. I think SRV used something stupid like a 15 on the top E!

Haha, well he did meet his demise by flying Eric Clapton's helicopter and ultimately crashing it...

Great player though, really energetic.
MartinC

Postby Bangover on Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:51 pm

I like quite alot of blues, probaly my favourite players are Derek Trucks, SRV and Rory Gallagher....there all good though
Bangover

Postby Pez on Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:23 am

remember half the sound of a solo is the music behind it
Pez

Postby Jemegadeth on Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:36 am

thrash metal maniac wrote:
Bangover wrote:sometimes the song isnt always about the feeling and more about the energy and agression and a complete fuck off face melter seems much better...

perfectly worded! =D>

YUS!!!!!!!

face melters win
the ones that make me go 'bululululululululluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu'

oh i know what i mean

yup i agree with that guy ^

:rockdevil:
spent last night trying to chuck my bird
she was clinging to my leg like a homesick turd
'Your tits are too small, and your legs are too short,
I want a fit bird from the Sunday Sport!
Jemegadeth

Postby Thrashface on Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:03 pm

You can't beat fast as fuck, no melody at all solos, especially live. Like Incubus, their solos are ridiculously fast and have no melody whatsoever, but they just give you an adrenalin rush. Saying this I like annihilator solos, cos their fast (Maybe not exactly slayer, but still) but melodic at the same time.
Thrashface

Postby Bangover on Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:09 pm

mmmnnn...face melting
Bangover

Postby James on Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:16 am

Creeping_Dave wrote:
Resilience Records wrote:definately a bit of both. although i couldn't imagine KK ever playing a slow heartfelt solo! the only emotion he shows through his music is shred.

That's precisely the reason I'm not a fan of Slayer and can't get into them no matter how hard I try.

Sometimes if I'm out somewhere and had a few to drink and in a headbanging mood then shred can be cool, whip out the air guitar and all that, but I'll rarely ever want to sit and listen to it.

To me, a guitar solo (or solo on any instrument for that matter) is an expression of emotion, and if no emotion was put into the playing then none will come of listening to it. So why should I want to listen to some pointless widdling? It'll just go straight over me and I won't care whats being played, most likely a load of self-indulgent garbage.

Don't get me wrong, lightning fast solos can be good if they're played with passion and conviction and sound musical... but then that's not shredding. So basically shred = boring/pointless etc.

Anyway rant over. This post probably sounds pretty gay haha :lol:

A classic example of totally missing the point of Slayer solos.
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

"No Hellscourger, I would not like a strawberry."
James
Administrator

Postby Creeping_Dave on Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:53 am

James wrote:
Creeping_Dave wrote:
Resilience Records wrote:definately a bit of both. although i couldn't imagine KK ever playing a slow heartfelt solo! the only emotion he shows through his music is shred.

That's precisely the reason I'm not a fan of Slayer and can't get into them no matter how hard I try.

Sometimes if I'm out somewhere and had a few to drink and in a headbanging mood then shred can be cool, whip out the air guitar and all that, but I'll rarely ever want to sit and listen to it.

To me, a guitar solo (or solo on any instrument for that matter) is an expression of emotion, and if no emotion was put into the playing then none will come of listening to it. So why should I want to listen to some pointless widdling? It'll just go straight over me and I won't care whats being played, most likely a load of self-indulgent garbage.

Don't get me wrong, lightning fast solos can be good if they're played with passion and conviction and sound musical... but then that's not shredding. So basically shred = boring/pointless etc.

Anyway rant over. This post probably sounds pretty gay haha :lol:

A classic example of totally missing the point of Slayer solos.

Not at all.. I'm saying I can't stand listening to them because I find them boring and unmusical. Why does that mean I am mssing the point of them?
Creeping_Dave

Postby Pez on Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:52 pm

i cant say id prefer most solos one way or the other, going back to what i said before:

Pez wrote:remember half the sound of a solo is the music behind it

the backing sets the context for the solo, for example you might GENERALLY want something atonal and ripping over a 250bpm sadus kinda riff, youd GENERALLY want to stick with slower classical scales over power-metal-ish riffs, pentatonics have their place in some places more than others too.

contrast is always good as well, and doesnt necessarily mean in just one solo. when im writing i might have one solo thats entirely face ripping and nothing else, and another one later thats a bit 'Oooohmmm Ahhhhh'.

i guess my point is neither is better than the other, but for good measure bear in mind theres just a time and a place, and a flexible balance helps, always be creative :D
Pez

Postby James on Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:15 am

Not at all.. I'm saying I can't stand listening to them because I find them boring and unmusical. Why does that mean I am mssing the point of them?

Because, for one thing, you say it totally puts you off Slayer as a band, which seems absurd to me - by no stretch of the imagination are Slayer's solos the central element of their sound.

Secondly, you say:

"To me, a guitar solo (or solo on any instrument for that matter) is an expression of emotion, and if no emotion was put into the playing then none will come of listening to it"

Has it not occurred to you that emotion can be conveyed in lots of different ways, including the frenetic and chaotic lead guitar work that serves its purpose within Slayer songs. To claim that "no emotion" comes across in Slayer solos is ridiculous.
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

"No Hellscourger, I would not like a strawberry."
James
Administrator

Postby thrash metal maniac on Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:44 pm

James wrote:Has it not occurred to you that emotion can be conveyed in lots of different ways, including the frenetic and chaotic lead guitar work that serves its purpose within Slayer songs. To claim that "no emotion" comes across in Slayer solos is ridiculous.

Emotion is a VERY broad term when it some to comparing every solo ever!!!!

Every guitarist has their own style, so therefore, playing with emotion is different from person to person, their own interpretation of playing with feeling. Also, in fast paced (mainly atonal) songs (ie Slayer), the emotion/ feeling behind the solo is supposed to be crazy, energetic, ott, everything that is 'bad' about them is what makes Slayer so fuckin intense! A good solo should be one which fits the song, but in your own style of course :D
thrash metal maniac

Postby sekhmet on Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:48 pm

It really depends on what the song calls for and what the musician feels at the time be it some face melting shread or noodling around with some melodic idea.

At the end of the day it's all just ponse, we should just down tune, play power choards and pull of licks and just sing about weeping roses/broken hearts....

Slightly off topic but this guy is one of my favourite guitarists, quite possably the King of tap, apparently predates Eddie Van Halen for taping, but more to the point, he rules, watch till the end, he doubles up the head :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtDS44GrjiY
sekhmet