Welcome to UK Thrash!

Lessons or Self-Taught?

Chat about playing musical instruments

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Re: Lessons or Self-Taught?

Postby Bangover on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:28 pm

You should get the guitar grimoire, they have a few versions - I have the scales one and it really is a mighty reference book, pretty much has everything in it and more.
zurabmelua wrote:heretic are absolutely shit!!!

Bangover

Postby GoreBastard on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:17 pm

meluaz wrote:
meluaz wrote:
GoreBastard wrote:BACKWARDS POWERCHORDS FTW!!!

by backwards powerchord do u mean a minor 3rd diad? well i suppose that could mean having the minor 6th aswell and that minor 6th could be the root note instead and that would make it the second inversion of a major triad, isnt it crazy just by moving the fifth of a minor chord up a semi tone it becomes a major chord. aaahh the wonders of chord theory god im fucking sleepy....

Well, I'm not very well up on theory, but what I meant by backwards powerchords was,
say for eg, fret 3 on the low E, then fret 1 on the A string. Like a normal powerchord, but erm, backwards! They sound awesome as fook man.
GoreBastard

Postby James on Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Yeah, I do those all the time, or alternatively fret 2 on the A string (seems to differ in effectiveness depending what the root note is). Don't know what they're called but they sound really cool imo.
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

"No Hellscourger, I would not like a strawberry."
James
Administrator

Postby meluaz on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:06 pm

GoreBastard wrote:
meluaz wrote:
meluaz wrote:
GoreBastard wrote:BACKWARDS POWERCHORDS FTW!!!

by backwards powerchord do u mean a minor 3rd diad? well i suppose that could mean having the minor 6th aswell and that minor 6th could be the root note instead and that would make it the second inversion of a major triad, isnt it crazy just by moving the fifth of a minor chord up a semi tone it becomes a major chord. aaahh the wonders of chord theory god im fucking sleepy....

Well, I'm not very well up on theory, but what I meant by backwards powerchords was,
say for eg, fret 3 on the low E, then fret 1 on the A string. Like a normal powerchord, but erm, backwards! They sound awesome as fook man.

hehe yep thats just what i said, minor third diad!
Image Image
MartinC wrote:HOW CAN PEARL JAM BE GOOD?! THEY ARE NOT METALLSSSS!!!1111

/Zurab
meluaz

Postby Zehm on Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:19 am

on and off for me. i taught my self for a few months before 3 months of lessons, and I had already figured out what he was trying to teach me so i quit that. then 2+ more years of self taught before i had 4 months of classical lessons. That taught me to play classical, not metal. he did show me one thing that made my minor scales a bit easier to finger, but other than that nothing in the metal realm. I really learned most of what I know by going to my church youth group of all places. there was this one kid there that has been playing guitar for about two years longer than I have, and we'd hang out before &after youth group and just jam. we'd show each other riffs and stuff and I just gleaned stuff from him. at the same time, I was doing the same thing with this middle school kid. the teaching helped me actually think objectively about what i was playing. I didn't jam with him for about a year, then I went to his place and he had gotten a lot better. we started a band and I found that after one year, his style was still similar to mine, but he had developed a style with rhythm patterns that were more nuanced than mine.

this outlines what I find are the four most useful learning environments. just jam with people. you'll pick up on new stuff from the people that are better than you. by noticing their errors, you'll refine your technique by playing with people who aren't as experienced. by playing alone you give yourself room to develop a style. And by playing in a band you'll take everything you do more seriously. That's just my experience.
Zehm

Postby Animal_MkIV on Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:04 am

Self taught drummer. I'm rediculously lazy, so could never be arsed sitting down and practising rudiments when I could be out drinking or playing computer games.
My biggest problem is that I'm hugely critical of myself and find it really hard to just sit down and play when I'm on my own as I think it just sounds shit, so I never end up playing for very long.

I've always described myself as more of a busking drummer. By that, I mean it's all about feel for me. Stick me in a room with a guitarist and I can jam for hours and I can usually pick up the basic rhythm after a few bars and just go with it. I've learned far more by jamming with people than if I were to sit down at the kit by myself.

Just need more people to jam with now...
Space is curved
Either that or my car pulls to the left...

CopperBomb
Animal_MkIV