Welcome to UK Thrash!

New Opeth album leaked!!!

General music discussion

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Re: New Opeth album leaked!!!

Postby jonny_boy34 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:00 pm

STD_Caps wrote:
I'm not Antipeth but I won't just suck their dong for something to do. I liked Damnation a lot and the tracks I heard from Blackwater Park were good. They can clearly write songs and riffs but it often seems that later Opeth is random with concern for structure, cohesion or progression. Well, that's my view.

Bloomin' hell Mr Caps, give it a little while longer and the songs that appear to have random structures will become amazing and make sense. This album takes more than one listen to get into!

You're right though, give it time and Hessian Peel is definitely the standout. I do see what you mean in all fairness, songs like Heir Apparent and The Lotus Eater do jump from place to place in a thousand instants, but that's what I love about it, and after listening to it a few times and getting to know the songs, the structures do definitely start to make more sense, you'll begin to notice where build-ups and climaxes are and you'll see it's all unbelievable. I still listen to this album about a million times a day and think it's the best thing since sliced bread. And after all, what would be the point of them doing another Ghost Reveries or Blackwater Park? They needed to do an album like this, it really is quite a step forward for them, and old Ankerfanker loves the prog and wants to go mad for it, and why the bloody hell shouldn't he.
jonny_boy34

Postby Bangover on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:05 pm

yeah definitely an album which makes you rape yourself more with each listen. (although I rapes first time I heard it but more rapes subsequent times)
zurabmelua wrote:heretic are absolutely shit!!!

Bangover

Postby STD_Caps on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:39 pm

jonny_boy34 wrote:
STD_Caps wrote:
I'm not Antipeth but I won't just suck their dong for something to do. I liked Damnation a lot and the tracks I heard from Blackwater Park were good. They can clearly write songs and riffs but it often seems that later Opeth is random with concern for structure, cohesion or progression. Well, that's my view.

Bloomin' hell Mr Caps, give it a little while longer and the songs that appear to have random structures will become amazing and make sense. This album takes more than one listen to get into!

You're right though, give it time and Hessian Peel is definitely the standout. I do see what you mean in all fairness, songs like Heir Apparent and The Lotus Eater do jump from place to place in a thousand instants, but that's what I love about it, and after listening to it a few times and getting to know the songs, the structures do definitely start to make more sense, you'll begin to notice where build-ups and climaxes are and you'll see it's all unbelievable. I still listen to this album about a million times a day and think it's the best thing since sliced bread. And after all, what would be the point of them doing another Ghost Reveries or Blackwater Park? They needed to do an album like this, it really is quite a step forward for them, and old Ankerfanker loves the prog and wants to go mad for it, and why the bloody hell shouldn't he.

You see, I don't think it is that much of a different to Ghost Reveries. Granted its progginess is a bit more pronounced but Heir Apparent and The Lotus Eater are both easily comparable. I've also noticed an increased 'gothic' vibe and I don't mean that in a shit way. However, Katatonia and My Dying Bride have similar riff style and mood - old Peaceville mates that they were.
To be fair, Heir Apparent is more coherent than I gave it credit for and is a pretty good effort, although I still think The Lotus Eater is not particularly good.
"And what about the churches and all their wealth
There's an unseen fortune under their belts
Are golden temples a symbol of God's way
This horde of wealth is a sickening display"
STD_Caps

Postby Lev on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:36 am

weptjeawry63q5y35ydfg3456wdgfdfgdfg

I like the album 'Watershed'.

swrterterydefshfgh
James wrote:This Facebook notification says it all really:

Martin James Crawford became a fan of Heretic (1 fan).
Lev

Postby Bangover on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:19 pm

BWHAHAHAHAH This is amazing.
zurabmelua wrote:heretic are absolutely shit!!!

Bangover

Postby jonny_boy34 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:09 pm

Soon all Opeth threads will just consist of:

dsfuashdfljashdlfkjasdhlkjadfnvlkajfdvhladsjfhga

etc.
jonny_boy34

Postby Shugmaster on Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:19 pm

sdjnkfkfkfdbshbdjbjehbehbhwillykkjanksdnjshit

Watershed hasn't really pressed my buttons. Slightly disappointed with it in a sort of 7/10 kinda way.
Shugmaster

Postby boovidge on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:19 pm

watershed is pr0n and i reckon it's their 2nd best after still life. the best song is hessian peel followed closely by burden. however, porcelain heart is a very poor song by opeths standards and one that i usually skip when listening to the album.
Metal Iain wrote:This board has nothing to do with the 'scene'. It's more just about 10 or so pricks who used to like Thrash that, for one reason or another, waste a lot of time posting on here.

boovidge

Postby jonny_boy34 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:32 pm

I really enjoy Porcelain Heart a lot, but I'll definitely agree it's the weakest song on the album, even though I don't consider it 'weak' at all. I especially love the acoustic middle section, it makes me feel lovely every time. I do sometimes wish that the song goes somewhere else rather than just finishing on the bit that it does, as that bit seems more like a build up to something else. But then again, I think it's ok because Hessian Peel is next. I think when you listen to this album as a whole, it makes the most sense. It's a bit like an up and down curve of moods and fun, the up points being Heir Apparent, The Lotus Eater and Hessian Peel, and the nice moody parts being everything in between, with Hex Omega being a wonderful combobulation of both, ending on a powerful but lovely note. Coil is a build up to Heir Apparent and The Lotus Eater, Burden is a lovely release from the madness, Porcelain Heart is a bigger build up to Hessian Peel which is the climax of the album, and Hex Omega is like a massive outro that says 'well done, this is great'.
jonny_boy34

Postby Lev on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:55 pm

I've listened to the album through about four times now. It's overall fantastic. A couple of things annoys me, like the random out of tune guitar ending to one of the tracks, but yeah, it's overall amazing. I love the way it has an insane amount of daft drums fills, yet it still ever so relaxing. Coil is my favourite track, very attractive.

Lev

Postby The Fourth Norseman on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:57 pm

now you know the power
The Fourth Norseman

Postby Lev on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:59 pm

Basically I'm a sucker for metal bands (with talent) doing easy listening stuff. Which explains my massive love for Dream Theater. So when I heard Coil, I had to give the rest of the album a listen. Coil is fucking fit.

What do y'all suggest from Opeth that's all quiet and lovely? - Excluding Windowpane, I know that one.

Lev

Postby The Fourth Norseman on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:05 pm

all of the damnation album is like windowpane
The Fourth Norseman

Postby Lev on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:06 pm

Sowteeed guvnaaa

Lev

Postby boovidge on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:09 pm

benighted. best opeth song evar
Metal Iain wrote:This board has nothing to do with the 'scene'. It's more just about 10 or so pricks who used to like Thrash that, for one reason or another, waste a lot of time posting on here.

boovidge