Welcome to UK Thrash!

UNHOLY ALLIANCE III

Discussion about upcoming gigs and gig swaps

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Re: UNHOLY ALLIANCE III

Postby ribbons69 on Mon May 19, 2008 7:36 pm

MartinC wrote:I can't pay money for Trivium, I just can't.

I honestly wouldn't go and see them,even if it was free.
Went to the last Unholy Alliance,but unless the line up drastically improves,I don't think I'll bother this year.Seen Slayer loads of times anyway,and November is always a really busy month for gigs as well.
"Thorn wishes aegis,rapturous beasts below"
"Aegis arising,the colours of space"

we fall to rise
ribbons69

Postby Kilgore~Let 'Em Burn on Mon May 19, 2008 9:09 pm

Seasons In The Abyss is the best Slayer album by far. Every song on it is thrash perfection as is the production, in my opinion it's Lomdardo's most influential album also from a playing point of view.
http://www.myspace.com/letemburn666 - Enrich your life and eardrums.
kilgore666@hotmail.com - For msn and gig booking related gayness for Let 'Em Bum.
Kilgore~Let 'Em Burn

Postby Atom on Mon May 19, 2008 9:13 pm

SNM, HA and RIB (HTC EP too) all tie as the best SLAYER albums for me, the rest is ok.
Atom

Postby Kilgore~Let 'Em Burn on Mon May 19, 2008 9:15 pm

While they remain my favourite metal band EVER i can't understand the fascination with SNM. It's baaaaaaaaaaaaad.
Having said that it's preferable to Diabolus..
kilgore666@hotmail.com - For msn and gig booking related gayness for Let 'Em Bum.
Kilgore~Let 'Em Burn

Postby Atom on Mon May 19, 2008 9:22 pm

Kilgore~Let 'Em Burn wrote:While they remain my favourite metal band EVER i can't understand the fascination with SNM. It's baaaaaaaaaaaaad.

I think what I love about SNM is the 'metalness' of it. Like, they hadn't found their own style yet so you can still hear all this great melodic chord stuff and Maiden/Priest-like guitar work, even the vocals are gripping onto their love of the older metal bands and hadn't yet been twisted to Araya's monotonous chanting.
Atom

Postby metaldazza on Mon May 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Atom wrote:
Kilgore~Let 'Em Burn wrote:While they remain my favourite metal band EVER i can't understand the fascination with SNM. It's baaaaaaaaaaaaad.

I think what I love about SNM is the 'metalness' of it. Like, they hadn't found their own style yet so you can still hear all this great melodic chord stuff and Maiden/Priest-like guitar work, even the vocals are gripping onto their love of the older metal bands and hadn't yet been twisted to Araya's monotonous chanting.

I think that's why I pass on SNM. It's RIB and SoH where they reach their peak and they are SLAYER!
New Metal Army - ALL the metal news from ALL the top websites in one place.
NMA on Twitter NMA on MySpace NMA on YouTube
metaldazza

Postby Kilgore~Let 'Em Burn on Mon May 19, 2008 9:28 pm

SOH is great but unfortunately it came after RIB so it kinda got a bad press. Shame really coz it's a fuckin' snorter of an album and my fave song is on it.
Kilgore~Let 'Em Burn

Postby Atom on Mon May 19, 2008 9:30 pm

I just love hearing them at their juvenile best! Just exploring and loving metal, full of excitement and savage power.

Don't forget Hell Awaits too. a total ripper of an album.

Also - Crionics from SNW, listen in at 2:21, total classic riffing there.
Atom

Postby Kilgore~Let 'Em Burn on Mon May 19, 2008 9:36 pm

Admittedly HA was a vast improvement, i appreciate SNM's rawness and aggression but i don't think the songcraft was quite in place.
Kilgore~Let 'Em Burn

Postby metaldazza on Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 pm

Atom wrote:I just love hearing them at their juvenile best! Just exploring and loving metal, full of excitement and savage power....

you've got a good point there. It's good to see a band evolve from a to b and actually get better and better.
metaldazza

Postby James on Mon May 19, 2008 11:16 pm

Atom wrote:SNM, HA and RIB (HTC EP too) all tie as the best SLAYER albums for me, the rest is ok.

I agree, those are the big three which I would call "essential" Slayer.

I'm playing that 2:21 bit in Crionics now! Excellent call Tom - ARGH, Slayer rule!
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

"No Hellscourger, I would not like a strawberry."
James
Administrator

Postby Chewin Druids on Tue May 20, 2008 7:36 am

People really underrate God hates us all - listen to some of the agressive pace in that and Bostaphs drumming
Vocally as well he was a real angry c*nt on that!
Giz a nosh
Chewin Druids

Postby Darkweasel on Tue May 20, 2008 10:55 am

Chewin Druids wrote:People really underrate God hates us all - listen to some of the agressive pace in that and Bostaphs drumming
Vocally as well he was a real angry c*nt on that!

Agreed. On Dittohead especially.

I think Christ Illusion was unfairly slated. It's far better than Diabolous and GHUA and the drumming on Cult is Lombardo at his best. Forget all these blastbeat merchants who seem to think playing 1000bpm is the best way to show aggression. Lombardo lets songs breathe by creating space and atmosphere. He makes the drums part of the composition rather than just playing everything as fast as he can on top of it for the entire duration.
There are only two dodgy songs on CI and I'd be quite happy for the likes of Cult, Jihad and Eyes of the Insane to remain in their shows for the next few years.
Darkweasel

Postby metaldazza on Tue May 20, 2008 12:05 pm

Darkweasel wrote:...
I think Christ Illusion was unfairly slated. It's far better than Diabolous and GHUA and the drumming on Cult is Lombardo at his best. Forget all these blastbeat merchants who seem to think playing 1000bpm is the best way to show aggression. Lombardo lets songs breathe by creating space and atmosphere...

Christ Illusion is an excellent album as far as I am concerned. Sure it panders to my religion hating side but I think it is well put together, well crafted. You are spot on with the 'creating space to breathe'. That's the difference between someone who plays an instrument and a musician. Knowing your place in the sound and knowing where NOT to play is more valuable then technique. This is especially true for thrash, death and black metal where it all devolves in to noise if you're not careful.
metaldazza

Postby Chewin Druids on Tue May 20, 2008 12:30 pm

Greatest band ever - is it borderline obsession if you have 2 slayer tattoos, slayer eagle fret markers, a slayer sticker on the body of the same guitar, and a slayer sticker on your car where the sunstrip often goes??
Apart from track 7 CI is all good!
Giz a nosh
Chewin Druids