Welcome to UK Thrash!

Lesser Known Thrash faves

Talk about all thrash metal.

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Re: Lesser Known Thrash faves

Postby bagpuss66 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:03 pm

thrash metal maniac wrote:
blacktears wrote:Xyster - seriously great band from Warrington. Their 3 early demos - "Children of Violence" ('87), "In Cold Blood" ('88) & "Black Bible" ('89) are superb. The album "In Good Faith" was a little disappointing, but still good.

Purgatory - the best thing to have come out of Weston-Super-Mare since John Cleese. Again, a band that released only two demos. The 2nd "Who Cares?", in particular, in bloody great. They also appeared on that "A Taste of Armageddon" album, which was a UK Speed Metal comp put out by Buster Bloodvessel from Bad Manners!

Arbitrator from Warwick

By the way, does anyone here like Slammer? That was a vilified band back in those days. Probably a lot of angst about them signing to a major label totally out of the blue, whilst more worthy bands were ignored.

blacktears.... man..... that's a lot of bands I've never heard of!

I have an Xyster demo rip.. it's titled '30 minutes of metal' though, do you have any info on that?

YES! Purgatory!!! I live in Weston!!!! I only heard one of their demos though, my mate got told about them a few years ago by the brother of one of the band members!

Arbitrater are pretty cool, I have Balance of Power on me comp, its a good album, not the fastest or heaviest or most 'out-there' but very enjoyable!!

I quite like Slammer, again, not the most original/heaviest/fastest or anything, but they have quite a good sound!!!

As i was in PURGATORY (Andrew jamieson Lead Guitar )it is cool to see people still remember us!!
I still have a copy of the 1st demo FLT but i'm still to find anyone with a copy of the 2nd 'Who Cares?' Does anyone here have a copy as i would love to hear it again.
The band did have two chances to become professional,we had roadrunner come to see us live but they chose to sign Xentrix instead.Infact we later found out that the a&r man had wanted to sign both bands but chose between us by a toss of a coin! We did sign a deal with Manic Ears records but just as we we're about to go in the studio the owner of the label sold the company to Trojan records who we're part owned by BMJ they hated the band and we were dropped.
We gave up after that.I played with various bands ,GRIPSHIFT were the last band i was in.Only Chris neighbour kept at it 1st wit GUTTERSNIPE then FOURWAYKILL.Two of the members left the uk,living in New Zealand and Australia.The funny thing is the A&R man working for Roadrunner is now the head of the company and chris met him at the kerrang awards a few years back,he told him he made a big mistake and should have signed us! Oh well thats the fickle fate of the music business!!! I'm still friends with a lot of people in the metal scene,Panic Cell and Onslaught.I still miss the fun times when the uk thrash metal scene was very active,there were a lot of good bands out there its just a pity only a few made it.
bagpuss66

Postby sacha on Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:54 pm

Might not be obscure enough for you guys, but Laaz Rockit's Nothing$ $acred is an absolute pillar of thrash perfection. Somewhere between Forbidden and Testament I guess I'd say.

[youtube]pzc1lcwYLFk[/youtube]
sacha

Postby sacha on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:20 am

Also would like to plug Bathory's Requiem, which I reckon is full of thrashin gems but everyone else seems to despise. For example, this riff is the alarm clock I wake up to every day :lol: http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=PDJwJlX4w ... ure=artist
sacha

Postby thrash metal maniac on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:02 pm

bagpuss66 wrote:As i was in PURGATORY (Andrew jamieson Lead Guitar )it is cool to see people still remember us!!
I still have a copy of the 1st demo FLT but i'm still to find anyone with a copy of the 2nd 'Who Cares?' Does anyone here have a copy as i would love to hear it again.
The band did have two chances to become professional,we had roadrunner come to see us live but they chose to sign Xentrix instead.Infact we later found out that the a&r man had wanted to sign both bands but chose between us by a toss of a coin! We did sign a deal with Manic Ears records but just as we we're about to go in the studio the owner of the label sold the company to Trojan records who we're part owned by BMJ they hated the band and we were dropped.
We gave up after that.I played with various bands ,GRIPSHIFT were the last band i was in.Only Chris neighbour kept at it 1st wit GUTTERSNIPE then FOURWAYKILL.Two of the members left the uk,living in New Zealand and Australia.The funny thing is the A&R man working for Roadrunner is now the head of the company and chris met him at the kerrang awards a few years back,he told him he made a big mistake and should have signed us! Oh well thats the fickle fate of the music business!!! I'm still friends with a lot of people in the metal scene,Panic Cell and Onslaught.I still miss the fun times when the uk thrash metal scene was very active,there were a lot of good bands out there its just a pity only a few made it.

wow that's a great story!!! do you still live in the west country then?
thrash metal maniac

Postby thrasherdave on Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:53 pm

Great story indeed!
Dian Wei wrote:It's that UKT vibe, we all basically are gay for one another.
thrasherdave

Postby Bloodkrishna on Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:29 pm

what a story!
too bad destiny chose Xentrix
I like the debut but their 2nd album bored the shit out of me
Bloodkrishna

Postby spufus on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:19 am

phodg wrote:
blacktears wrote:By the way, does anyone here like Slammer? That was a vilified band back in those days. Probably a lot of angst about them signing to a major label totally out of the blue, whilst more worthy bands were ignored.

Yeah, I always liked Slammer. They weren't the most original band out there but as you say they got a lot of stick for signing to a major (even though supposedly they meant to sign a different Slammer but got the wrong one). Saw them a couple of times, the last time supporting Onslaught/Crumbsuckers in Bradford.

Thanks for the memory :D
Takes me back to my youth in Bradford thrash land :rockdevil:
spufus