Welcome to UK Thrash!

Lisbon Treaty

For all off topic discussion

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Re: Lisbon Treaty

Postby blacktears on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:45 pm

STD_Caps wrote:
STD_Caps wrote:- The person who said they were old enough to remember the dark days of Labour: I'm sure you must have been a young pup at the time and so were either very politically aware or have formed your analysis retrospectively.

Sorry, realised this sounds really condescending and patronising. I didn't mean it like that. Sorry.

No offence taken, though I was hardly a "young pup". I had already left school and was in college, by the time Maggie had come to power.

So, yes, I do remember those days clearly. And, for the record, I never voted for Maggie through the 80s either.
"Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras"
blacktears

Postby blacktears on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:59 pm

"Beyond this, her social policy was largely vile. Well, if someone who famously states that 'there is no such thing as society' can be said to a have a social policy. Her legacy put us into the neo-liberal mentality of selfish and destructive economic policy and mean-spirited social and welfare issues

But, not all social policy "experts" would agree with you on those points. I would suggest picking up this book below, written by Dr Clare Beckett, who teaches "social policy" at Bradford University.

http://www.hauspublishing.com/product/152
Last edited by blacktears on Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blacktears

Postby blacktears on Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:09 pm

Lisbon Treaty is not much of a concern in the grand scheme of things. Yes, we are talking about the continuing erosion of our national sovereignty but there are lots of good things to come from European influence. Also, the continuing intergration of Europe, for better or worse, is going to happen. You can either accomodate it or resist it and find yourself on the sore end.

Poor Norway and Switzerland, what are they going to do? They're out of the integration, but still in a trade agreement pact with the EU.

Cameron is Tony Blair's doppelganger, with a blue shirt on. He has been allying himself with Far Right Central & Eastern Europe parties, and yet strongly criticises the BNP at home.
blacktears

Postby Headtrip Higgins on Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:55 am

iv got a funny feeling that its slowly gonna have a massive change on everything from our personal freedom/privacy right down to what we eat. i also think our human rights are going to whipped out from under our feet without us even really noticing like most things that go on these days. how many of the decisions being made have been opposed by us and recognised as against the peoples will?
Headtrip Higgins

Postby zykloned on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:00 pm

Bangover wrote:smoke weed everyday
zykloned

Postby Creeping Dan on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:50 pm

Hey, isnt it terrible how we got all of our rights taken off us and oh... oh wait!!

Hahahahaaaa!!
Rub my face... up and down
Creeping Dan