Welcome to UK Thrash!

Webserver Move - We're Back!

Any comments and/or feedback about the website and forum

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Webserver Move - We're Back!

Postby Craig on Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:52 pm

Hi everyone,
After almost a week offline, UKThrash is back!

My apologies for the suddenness of the move, I should really have announced it a while back but I've just started a new job so everything has been stupidly busy over the last week or so, plus my billing period with 1&1 (the old hosts) finishes at the end of July, so I wanted to get everything moved and settled so I'm not billed for an extra 6 months of hosting!

So hopefully things should be back to normal, there will be no more mass-posting culls, thanks to EvoHosting (the new hosts) and their generous unlimited database size!

Other benefits are that the forums are now hosted within the UK (1&1's servers were in Germany) so the time it dates for data to travel to and from the servers will be less, so the forums should be more responsive.

Cheers for bearing with us!
Craig
Personal Site | Freelance Web Design | Last.fm

Bash.org wrote:<Patrician|Away> what does your robot do, sam
<bovril> it collects data about the surrounding environment, then discards it and drives into walls
Craig
Administrator

Re: Webserver Move - We're Back!

Postby The Fourth Norseman on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:09 pm

can we post pictures now
The Fourth Norseman

Postby Craig on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:19 pm

The Fourth Norseman wrote:can we post pictures now

:lol: :lol:

No.

<bovril> it collects data about the surrounding environment, then discards it and drives into walls
Craig
Administrator

Postby Magnificent S Pendergast on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:28 pm

I now have to use a proxy to get on the site. What's that all about then? fyi I'm on TalkTalk...
Magnificent S Pendergast

Postby Craig on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:35 pm

Magnificent S Pendergast wrote:I now have to use a proxy to get on the site. What's that all about then? fyi I'm on TalkTalk...

The server changes need a couple of days to filter through to every server in the world, so there may be slight delays while everyone's servers pick up the changes.

Geek-Speak Explanation

DNS (Domain Name Service) is basically how your computer finds out the IP of whatever site you're looking at - I've had to change the nameservers (the "master" server that contains the DNS records for ukthrash.co.uk) so there's going to be a delay while these changes filter down through the entire world's DNS servers.

I'm using the OpenDNS servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) and it seems to work fine, so try pointing your PC's DNS at those. If that fails, try running ipconfig /flushdns from a DOS prompt to clear the DNS cache on your PC itself.

Craig
Administrator

Postby Magnificent S Pendergast on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:26 pm

I just punched my computer, that seemed to do the trick.
Magnificent S Pendergast