Welcome to UK Thrash!

Iron Maiden - THE FINAL FRONTIER

General music discussion

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Re: Iron Maiden - THE FINAL FRONTIER

Postby jonny_boy34 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:47 pm

I think they all played solos, one after the other, over the same boring riff that doesn't go anywhere. And Janick's was definitely the worst.

However, I'll be surprised if this is what the rest of the album will sound like. These days, Maiden's 'rockers' seem to be their weakest point (apart from Rainmaker and The Pilgrim), and luckily they don't write too many of them.
jonny_boy34

Postby James on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:59 pm

Hmm, for me Different Worlds was one of the more likeable tracks on AMOLAD, although this new one is PISS POOR. Seriously bad.
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

"No Hellscourger, I would not like a strawberry."
James
Administrator

Postby jonny_boy34 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:09 pm

I felt the same way about Different World when I first heard as the way I feel about this one! Although the first half of the chorus in Different World was nice due to it's happy Thin Lizzy-ish feel. But still, by Maiden's standards that was a pretty bad song, as is this one! With the last album it wasn't until they released the third song online that joy happened in my brain. But basically about half of the last album was really good in my completely non-biased opinion, so I'm expecting about the same for this one, but hoping for more obviously.
jonny_boy34

Postby ironballs on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:07 pm

boy you lot want perfection and you havn't even heard the whole album yet! one average track and the whole Iron Maiden world has collasped .
ironballs

Postby phodg on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:09 pm

I've listened to it a few times and I have to admit I like it. Personally I think it's better than anything on AMOLAD. And it doesn't feel as long as the tracks on that album. It feels more like a 4-5 minutes song to me, which I take as a good sign I'm enjoying it.
Don't give a monkey's what you lot think. I'm older than most (or maybe all) of you, so I reserve the right to be one of those loud old blokes in the post office queue. :)
phodg

Postby Craig on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:19 pm

ironballs wrote:one average track and the whole Iron Maiden world has collasped .

Correction: one below average track following one very mediocre and borderline rubbish album.

El Dorado would actually fit right in with the general "sound" of AMOLAD, it uses the same layered vocals on the chorus, the same "gritty" guitar tones, the same atmosphere, mood.

Everything else has already been said really, it's disappointing given the potential that Iron Maiden have as a band. I guess if there was one word that summed it up, it would be "tired".
Personal Site | Freelance Web Design | Last.fm

Bash.org wrote:<Patrician|Away> what does your robot do, sam
<bovril> it collects data about the surrounding environment, then discards it and drives into walls
Craig
Administrator

Postby jonny_boy34 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:38 pm

The funny thing is, I don't think it sounds tired or overdone - it actually feels quite fresh, like they're finally getting away from the dark moodyness of AMOLAD and trying to have more fun. I think it has quite a different feel to AMOLAD because of that. Just that with this particular song, they haven't done that very well!

I'll stand by my opinion though that AMOLAD really, really wasn't that bad!!
jonny_boy34

Postby James on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:44 pm

They're just too ooooooooooooold!
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

James
Administrator

Postby jonny_boy34 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Well, luckily Steve has just confirmed that it is not Maiden's last album... yay.....
jonny_boy34

Postby Mazz on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:28 pm

I've just listened to the track. hmmmmm. It's a really half-assed vocal by Bruce (Which I admire). You can imagine him sitting down singing it while wearing a jumper that says 'Golf 2000' on it or summit.

"Right that's the only take i'm doing..what's next?....Starblind!...oh ok...STAAAAAARBLIND COZ I'M LOSING MY MIND...IN THE FUTURE...WWWHOOOAAAAAAARRGHHH"
"...maybe we'll play some twister and do some breakdancing?"

http://www.myspace.com/groanuk
http://www.myspace.com/ratzzzass
Mazz

Postby jonny_boy34 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:55 pm

Haha, yes indeed. Well I've listened to it loads of times now, and I can't even remember how it goes. But that's probably because I'm listening to the live version of Kill The King by Rainbow right now, and it's hard to remember anything else about life while such magical wizardry is traversing through your brain.

Here's a question - what's the difference between whilst and while?
jonny_boy34

Postby Mazz on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:59 pm

jonny_boy34 wrote:Haha, yes indeed. Well I've listened to it loads of times now, and I can't even remember how it goes. But that's probably because I'm listening to the live version of Kill The King by Rainbow right now, and it's hard to remember anything else about life while such magical wizardry is traversing through your brain.

Here's a question - what's the difference between whilst and while?

No idea. I bet Dr Alice Roberts would know.

Mazz

Postby Mazz on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:02 pm

hmmmm

"whilst
late 14c., from while (q.v.) with adverbial gen. -s-, and excrescent -t- (as in amongst, amidst)."

Mazz

Postby jonny_boy34 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:24 pm

Incidentally, this is the third time Bruce has insisted on telling us a story/tale on the last three albums. Well, that's one per album I guess. Dance of Death opened with 'Let me tell you a story to chill the bones', The Legacy started with 'Tell you a tale you ought to know, two minutes of your time and off you go' (that song was 10 minutes, not 2, but it was amazing so it's ok), and El Dorado starts with 'Gotta tell you a story on a cold winter's night.'
jonny_boy34

Postby James on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:36 pm

Haha good point. Also, don't you agree Bruce has a really odd singing accent?

jonny_boy34 wrote:'Let me tell you a story to chill the bones'

"Lat meh tuuull you a staaary to chull the baaans!"

James
Administrator