Welcome to UK Thrash!

The UK Thrash Homepage

Talk about thrash from the UK.

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

The UK Thrash Homepage

Postby James on Mon May 04, 2009 3:21 pm

Me and Craig have been discussing the homepage, as we don't feel it serves a very good purpose at the moment and wanted some new ideas...

Due to the immediacy of the forum for news, the articles go out of date very quickly, and we were wondering whether some sort of blog feature would be more effective on the homepage?

We are open to constructive ideas, as this will be the first page newcomers actually see.
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

"No Hellscourger, I would not like a strawberry."
James
Administrator

Re: The UK Thrash Homepage

Postby Resilience Records on Mon May 04, 2009 3:29 pm

i actually think its ok as a homepage, yes it does go out of date fairly quickly, BUT the articles that are there so far are all fairly large and totally relevant events in the history of UKThrash so far. i say more of the same, just maybe... a bit more of it! Its nice to see a home page that isn't just your standard blog stylee thing. the layout could be changed maybe, but i think the actual content is still bang on, and its not like every one needs to be updated about every little thing that happens, its nice to see the more important occasions pin-pointed as actual news for the front page, for anything else the forum serves this purpose perfectly.

stuff like the bands section and the gallery could be reviewed though. i think in principle both as sound ideas, but maybe they need to be re-vamped somewhat...
Heavy Metal is the Law.
Resilience Records

Postby thrash metal maniac on Mon May 04, 2009 3:30 pm

yes

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4687&start=45

band news updates...

gig news updates...

maybe have someone in charge of just updating the homepage every week or whatnot?
thrash metal maniac

Postby Craig on Mon May 04, 2009 3:31 pm

What I had in mind for the front page is generally getting more people on the forum involved with writing the main site content and replacing the current "Articles" section (which to be fair is pretty neglected and crap) with more of a blog-style setup where forum users can write their own articles and get them published to the site. The end result should really be more of an online zine or blog.

Do we have any volunteers for UKThrash bloggers? People who have written blogs / editorial content / articles before are ideal, but as long as you can write properly structured prose it shouldn't be much of a problem. In terms of article length, a couple of hundred words should suffice.
Personal Site | Freelance Web Design | Last.fm

Bash.org wrote:<Patrician|Away> what does your robot do, sam
<bovril> it collects data about the surrounding environment, then discards it and drives into walls
Craig
Administrator

Postby James on Mon May 04, 2009 3:41 pm

Jamie's right about the band bios and gallery - I don't think they work very well at all. Perhaps the current homepage format is ok, we just need to cover more of the important milestones, like the Podcast and Capital Punishment.
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

James
Administrator

Postby thrash metal maniac on Mon May 04, 2009 3:44 pm

I would like to see maybe an upcoming 'uk thrashers gig listing' so you don't have to trawl through the gigs section to find info on it!

Like just a simple little list with dates and whats happening where in the next couple of months.. including bigger (non-uk and even non-thrash) bands

and maybe news when bands release new materials aswell... the homepage would be kind of a hub of information for any metalheads interested in the thrash scene, not just the occasional 'yeh, this happened' announcement
thrash metal maniac

Postby James on Mon May 04, 2009 3:49 pm

We tried a gigs Calendar before, but the fact that it was tied in to the forum meant it was a bit of a flop in my opinion. Nice ideas though Harris, we could have a Latest Releases and Upcoming Gigs box on the homepage, just a matter of keeping them updated.

James
Administrator

Postby MartinC on Mon May 04, 2009 3:50 pm

There could be some sort of 'thrash calendar' and bands or moderators could just fill in the dates with their gigs, so a thrash fan could just look at the calendar and see what's going on each and every week and where. I think it would be good to get some member produced articles on the front page as well.
MartinC

Postby James on Mon May 04, 2009 3:51 pm

Yeah I'm liking that direction - because at the moment I'm guessing that all of us regulars have bookmarks going straight to the forum; some sort of news stream on the homepage would make it a more logical hub.

James
Administrator

Postby MartinC on Mon May 04, 2009 3:53 pm

Is there a way that the most active threads on the 'UK Thrash' section (say 5 or so) could be shown on the homepage? That way, a user coming onto the site could see specifically what is being talked about at that time and it might make them want to come on the forum and check them out.
MartinC

Postby Resilience Records on Mon May 04, 2009 3:55 pm

all good ideas!

Yeah the calendar was a bit of a flop before, but i like the idea of a myspace style list that anyone can add to... also you last suggestion martin is definitely a good one.
Heavy Metal is the Law.
Resilience Records

Postby MartinC on Mon May 04, 2009 3:57 pm

That way, people would see that thrash is being discussed about, like you want and then hopefully they'd check out the General Chat section afterwards and see that we're all fun boyz.
MartinC

Postby James on Mon May 04, 2009 3:59 pm

This is the realm of Craigbot, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard to adapt that 'Latest Post' feature to show 'Latest 5 in UK Thrash section'.

James
Administrator

Postby MartinC on Mon May 04, 2009 4:05 pm

There could also be a slideshow feature showing pictures from loads of different UK thrash live shows.
MartinC

Postby James on Mon May 04, 2009 4:06 pm

Easily done I'm sure, I like the flyer scroller thing on our Myspace, though that's a relic from Boove's revamp as I don't know how to do it. Again, Craig will get on the case I'm sure.

James
Administrator