Welcome to UK Thrash!

I saw Stephen Merchant, so...

For all off topic discussion

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

I saw Stephen Merchant, so...

Postby thrashduck on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:07 pm

Saw him in Sheffield the other day, more out of curiosity than anything else and turns out the goggle-eyed freak isn't a bad stand-up at all (And I don't even really like stand-up).

Didn't rely on Pilky and Gervais at all, was suprisingly enthusiastic and had a load of stories which I'd never heard of (despite hearing literally days of XFM/podcasts). He also did a ridiculous little play at the end with two members of the audience which was hilarious.

So yeah, go and see him, he's got loads of new dates. It was better than Gervais's last couple of tours anyway. Bunce-wise you're looking at 30 smackers, but I didn't feel ripped off.

Bunce and burner.. nice little earner.

Has anyone else been? Martin was at the same gig, but gave me FALSE INFORMATION ABOUT A PUBLIC HOUSE. Slug.

Cheers
IN A BAND?! SEND ME NEWS NOW!
http://www.facebook.com/ukthrashpodcast

NEKROKANNIBAL wrote: delete this account now coz this forum is pure fuckin gay lame shit
thrashduck

Re: I saw Stephen Merchant, so...

Postby James on Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:34 pm

Was he basically a chilled out entertainer?
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

"No Hellscourger, I would not like a strawberry."
James
Administrator

Postby jonny_boy34 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:03 pm

It's Bunsen Burner. Hence the... bunce...

Stephen Merchant is a lovely man, and I think he really is the brains behind the operation. Licensed by... carried out by... Ricky Gervais is the hilarious face and joy-bringer, and his acting is actually amazing, but without Merchant behind him, he never seems to be that good. If Merchant is still very good without Gervais, that is proof right there in the pudding. Kind of like Steve Coogan and Armando Ianucci. Armando is amazing on his own, and Steve is amazing when Armando is writing with him and directing him, but Steve on his own isn't quite as great. Comedy duos of loveliness.
jonny_boy34

Postby thrashduck on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:32 am

Yeah, Gervais's writing seems to flounder when he's on his own - movies, stand-up etc, I think he gets too carried away and Merchant irons out the creases and adds his own genius to make a big mess of genius. I didn't think Merchant was the best thing I'd ever seen either, so they definitely need each other to make it work.

Obviously Gervais is a very funny man, quick witted, great character actor (range might be limited but.. fuck off) and is right up my bum street, but yeah, Merch is his Camilla. Great comparison with Coogster Jon yeah. Great actor, good improv, but no writer. I watched some of his stand up today, from waaaaay back (before he even started doing Paul Calf) and it was bloody awful.

While we're on the best boys of comedy, did you know there's a Partridge autobiography coming out?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Partridge-Need- ... 867&sr=8-1

Must remember to thank him.

NEKROKANNIBAL wrote: delete this account now coz this forum is pure fuckin gay lame shit
thrashduck

Postby jonny_boy34 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:12 am

No! That sounds amazing. I will definitely get that!

Indeed, I think Gervais' acting is amazing because he's one of the few who can act like a real person. If you think about it, all the best actors usually get tarred with the 'he just plays himself in every film' brush; De Niro, Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino, Clint Eastwood, Vin Diesel (that last one was a joke). But that's why they're amazing, because they're just natural in every film, and somehow that makes them convincing in any role (apart from when De Niro played a gay pirate in Stardust, that was a bit weird, but the less said about his later career the better). And Ricky Gervais can do this - proof is a hundred per cent unbelievable in two amazing moments; one being the 'don't make me redundant' scene, and the other one being the big Fuck You at the end of the Extras special. I think even if he did a serious British film with no comedy at all, he'd still be very good indeed.

Now I'm not going mad and saying Gervais is as good as De Niro, but I just mean he has the same sort of skill as being a natural actor, which is much more wonderful to watch than, for example, the bit where Mel Gibson cries in Ransom because he thinks his son is dead, or any scene in Braveheart come to think of it. Now THAT is over-acting.
jonny_boy34

Postby Resilience Records on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:48 pm

Vs.

when does he play london... shall we go? and heckle.
Heavy Metal is the Law.
Resilience Records

Postby radioactive rik on Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:05 pm

i served Ricky Gervais at work AND got his autograph....so.......
ImageImage
radioactive rik

Postby thrashduck on Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Showing off in front of...

thrashduck

Postby thrashduck on Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:53 pm

jonny_boy34 wrote:It's Bunsen Burner. Hence the... bunce...

Absolutely no idea why I typed it wrong. I'm a fucking dizgrace.

thrashduck

Postby STD_Caps on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:30 pm

I saw him. Down in Kent last week. He was supported by a bloke called something Widdecome. Jack? Phil? I don't know. Anyway, they both entertained me immensely. Not the best I've seen but still very good. Merchant started and finished strongly, beginning with some amusing comments on newspaper reviews and finishing on that hilarious play previously mentioned. The bloke that came up actually looked a bit mental and had a sort-of speech impediment. I thought he was a plant for some politically incorrect mocking. However, it was just a coincidence. His stuff on 'men doing all the work' at the start of the relationship, while a bit sexist-to-the-point-of-being-out-of-date, was still pretty funny. A good show. Yeah, I'd recommend if you like stand.
"And what about the churches and all their wealth
There's an unseen fortune under their belts
Are golden temples a symbol of God's way
This horde of wealth is a sickening display"
STD_Caps

Postby MartinC on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:04 pm

Paul had the opportunity to join me for an ale and he slunked out! LITTLE SLUG!!!
MartinC

Postby James on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:33 pm

Me: lager, Finchy: lager, Martin: lager sometimes ale.
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

"No Hellscourger, I would not like a strawberry."
James
Administrator

Postby thrashduck on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:44 pm

MartinC wrote:Paul had the opportunity to join me for an ale and he slunked out! LITTLE SLUG!!!

Mate, can I have a word?

thrashduck

Postby thrashduck on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:47 pm

STD_Caps wrote: The bloke that came up actually looked a bit mental and had a sort-of speech impediment. I thought he was a plant for some politically incorrect mocking. However, it was just a coincidence.

Haha, he said in Sheffield that they'd got some mentals before and had to ask a nerdy bloke and the girl if they weren't completely pissed before they got on stage. They were alright actually, though kept reading over the laughter, unprofessional so..

thrashduck