Welcome to UK Thrash!

Gig prices

General music discussion

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Gig prices

Postby Immortalicide on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:48 am

I travelled through the shit weather tonight to go and see NAPALM DEATH and IMMOLATION in derby. They were playing the back room of a pub called the old bell, and it is a great venue, but still a room in a pub. When we got there, they were charging £18.50 a ticket!!!

Naturally, i told em to fuck off and went for a curry and some beers instead, and spent about half of what i would have if id have gone in the gig and had a couple of drinks. Thing is, by charging so much, it turns people away i think. Am i just being tight, or was nearly 20 quid an extrotionate price????
Immortalicide

Re: Gig prices

Postby Atom on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:19 am

I'd pay that for those two bands, considering Metallica charge like 40 bucks+ for a show you know? I prefer ND and Immo to Metallica nowadays so I see no problem paying 20 squid to those much more deserving bands.

10 bones per band? Fuck yeah, NAPALM AND IMMO = AWESOME!
Atom

Postby zykloned on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:28 am

I'm still annoyed that bus prices have gone up from 40p to bloody £2.

Let alone gig prices! Generally worth it though. What does take the piss is the extortionate prices the venue THEN puts on it's alcohol and food.
zykloned

Postby Immortalicide on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:26 am

Atom wrote:I'd pay that for those two bands, considering Metallica charge like 40 bucks+ for a show you know? I prefer ND and Immo to Metallica nowadays so I see no problem paying 20 squid to those much more deserving bands.

Metallica have all the gubbins they bring with them though, massive stage sets, arena hire, many rodies and tour crew, last nights gig was literally the back room of a pub with no trimmings (atom, it was where you played derby with gama bomb last year!). The most ive seen asked for a gigthere before is a tenner. Ive seen ND many times and just wasnt prepared to pay best part of 40 quid (for me and the missus) to see em again!!!
Immortalicide

Postby jonny_boy34 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:50 am

You think that's bad, I paid £80 to see The Police. It really was great though.
jonny_boy34

Postby Animal_MkIV on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:58 am

Yeah, I'd say that sounds dear, it would have put me off going, too. No more than a tenner, really, for a pub gig.
Space is curved
Either that or my car pulls to the left...

CopperBomb
Animal_MkIV

Postby Immortalicide on Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:29 am

jonny_boy34 wrote:You think that's bad, I paid £80 to see The Police. It really was great though.

You can afford it after you got paid a trillion pounds for your starring roles in eastenders and the go compare advert!!!
Immortalicide

Postby Atom on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:12 pm

Immortalicide wrote:
Atom wrote:I'd pay that for those two bands, considering Metallica charge like 40 bucks+ for a show you know? I prefer ND and Immo to Metallica nowadays so I see no problem paying 20 squid to those much more deserving bands.

Metallica have all the gubbins they bring with them though, massive stage sets, arena hire, many rodies and tour crew, last nights gig was literally the back room of a pub with no trimmings (atom, it was where you played derby with gama bomb last year!). The most ive seen asked for a gigthere before is a tenner. Ive seen ND many times and just wasnt prepared to pay best part of 40 quid (for me and the missus) to see em again!!!

Yeah good point!

I think I'd still do it though but I can see your point.
Atom

Postby Stevedot2 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Yeah that's way too much for what is essentially a pub gig. That's a nazi price, ironic!
Stevedot2

Postby Povey on Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:45 pm

*Pove puts on his promoters hat on.

I brought this up the other day regarding Sodom, I cant remember what the exact price was but it was like £17? to see Sodom at the Underworld. While I accept that it is a one off and at "intimate" venue like the one in Camden.

The problem stems from the tour booker/agent and the bands guarantee.

When a band wants to tour, they hire a agent to organise the tour for them. The agency agrees a fee for the band that they will get paid per night aka a "guarantee" then they book the shows with a individual promoter around the country as a package including there "admin fee".

So in the case of ND and IMMO you are looking at say for arguements sake £500-750 piece per band per show + "admin costs". So a total guarantee of £2K or whatever.

At the end of the night/tour the bands will be paid there agreed fee's and what ever is left over will be for the tour agency.

The promoter then of course has to maximise his/her ticket prices to match what is required by the agency so they dont lose out thus hurting us in the long run.
Povey

Postby phodg on Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:07 pm

Yeah, I'd have paid it. But it's not cheap for the two of you.

I'm going to go and see Killing Joke twice next week in Chicago playing in a pub. Tickets for that were $15 apiece. So that's about a tenner. Maybe ND could have done it for that.
phodg

Postby jonny_boy34 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:13 pm

Immortalicide wrote:
jonny_boy34 wrote:You think that's bad, I paid £80 to see The Police. It really was great though.

You can afford it after you got paid a trillion pounds for your starring roles in eastenders and the go compare advert!!!

Haha! This was before all that. I was still a uni, I actually had to pay Jamie off in instalments over a few months because it was so bloody expensive. Ridiculous!
jonny_boy34

Postby H.O.D. Feemo on Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:17 pm

We saw Napalm this year Mort so it's no biggie. £20 is well too steep, first time I saw them was a fiver.
H.O.D. Feemo

Postby Resilience Records on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:30 am

Atom wrote:
Immortalicide wrote:

Yeah good point!

I think I'd still do it though but I can see your point.

Why... are his trousers down? :dance:
Heavy Metal is the Law.
Resilience Records

Postby Immortalicide on Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:17 pm

jonny_boy34 wrote:
Immortalicide wrote:

Haha! This was before all that. I was still a uni, I actually had to pay Jamie off in instalments over a few months because it was so bloody expensive. Ridiculous!

5 installments of 6 inches??? :wink:
Immortalicide