Welcome to UK Thrash!

Hammer House Of Horror

For all off topic discussion

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Re: Hammer House Of Horror

Postby Deathamphetamine on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:22 pm

For some reason theres a hammer horror boxset in my house. Only seen 4 of them and i have to classify them as "so bad theyre good"
Deathamphetamine

Postby blacktears on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:07 am

I see that Ingrid Pitt was in Hammer's 2008 produced movie, "Beyond The Rave". From the synopsis, it sounds like she was probably the best thing in it..http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1104731/

I doubt if the new Hammer productions will have the old Gothic vibe from the 60s/70s movies. "Hammer House of Horror" (1980) was a great revitalisation of the Hammer name, in a modern setting. However, the follow up series, "Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense" (1984-6) was mostly cobblers and most of the horror was taken out of the stories.

One of the new productions - "Let Me In", sounds like it could be aimed at the "Twilight" kind of audience.. "A bullied young boy befriends a young female vampire who lives in secrecy with her guardian". I think I'll give it a miss.

I think they should gets the rights off "Benmar Productions" and re-do "Psychomania" instead, ha ha
"Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras"
blacktears

Re:

Postby blacktears on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:10 am

TORSO wrote:Huzzar!

I love the hammer horrors, maybe Christopher Lee could star in one....but he might be too busy being a Singing Wizard Jedi. Though some of the ones with Peter Cushing were rather fun (the frankenstein ones).

Also wasn't Oliver Reed in some of them?

Oli was in 4 Hammer films, I believe..

"Two Faces of Dr Jeckyll" 1960 (as a bouncer)
"Curse of the Werewolf" 1961 (as the werewolf)
"Pirates of Blood River" 1962
"Captain Clegg" 1962
blacktears

Postby blacktears on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:16 am

Other fave Hammer films of mine:

"The Brides of Dracula" 1960
"The Gorgon" 1964
"The Reptile" 1966
"The Plague of Zombies" 1966
"The Devil Rides Out" 1968 (all time classic!)
"Vampire Circus" 1972
"Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter" 1974
"To the Devil a Daughter" 1976

Most location shoots for these films were done down Black Park, which is just a 3 minute drive from me. I walk round there regularly. Most of the HHOH were done locally too. In fact, my mum's carer used to care for a woman who was part of the production team and left her a lot of memorabilia, props and all sorts after her death.
blacktears

Postby TORSO on Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:43 am

I've been getting through a lot of 20's and 30's horror so I may just have to start delving into more Hammer, The Devil Rides Out is amazing Christopher Lee throwing stuff at "the goat of mendes" and giant tarantulas.
INTO THE REACTOR!
TORSO