Welcome to UK Thrash!

Love thrash? Love Slayer?

Talk about all thrash metal.

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Love thrash? Love Slayer?

Postby terrorizer on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:12 pm

I've always considered liking Slayer to be a "no-brainer". To call yourself a thrasher means that you must love the HA to SITA era, with SNM an optional extra, but I've read a few posts here from people who don't and I must say that I am amazed. Would anyone care to explain why?

"If you want a picture of the future of UK Thrash, imagine a boot stamping on a Member's face, forever."
terrorizer

Postby Atom on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:17 pm

I love the first three Slayer albums (and HTC too) but after that I find they are too monotonous if you listen to them too much.

They never got out of the same formula really.

Still though... Legends!
Atom

Postby James on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:25 pm

One of the undisputable thrash kings in my view. Although I tend to listen to Show No Mercy the most, I had a proper Reign In Blood session last night just to re-cap, and come on... it still destroys let's be honest. Angel of Death, Altar of Sacrifice and Epidemic bitch. I've recently decided that Raining Blood really isn't that great.. it's not in my top 3 or 4 off RIB at all.

The later stuff certainly begins to lack the same electricity, but I think Slayer's place in the thrash pantheon is pretty secure.
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

"No Hellscourger, I would not like a strawberry."
James
Administrator

Postby Ripper on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:58 pm

Slayer reigned supreme in the 80's...I think younger thrashers miss the point a bit because they have been exposed to crap like God hates Us All etc...
Play fast or die
Ripper

Postby nuke on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:00 pm

i love slayer :) first five albums are great.

dont really listen to there newer stuff.
nuke

Postby phodg on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:11 pm

Raining Blood works best when you listen to it coming out of Postmortem. Those two tracks should never be separated in my opinion.
phodg

Postby keith_amok on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:14 pm

hmm ive no real urge to listen to slayer anymore. If the occasional song comes on in the pub or whatever then il like it but i couldnt see myself listening through a whole album. I used to when i was young but back then i thought pantera were amazing as well :roll: lol
Come to the THRASH ISLAND!!!!!!!!

SCOTTISH THRASH METAL - http://www.facebook.com/#!/amokscotland
keith_amok

Postby thrash metal maniac on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:29 pm

keith_amok wrote:hmm ive no real urge to listen to slayer anymore. If the occasional song comes on in the pub or whatever then il like it but i couldnt see myself listening through a whole album. I used to when i was young but back then i thought pantera were amazing as well :roll: lol

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Slayer are great I totally agree with terrorizer!!!! They represent thrash metal in its purest form, Hell Awaits is probably my favourite, it's just sooo dark and heavy and fast and amazing, pity the production was different to all the other stuff (ie - worse :doh: )

And what's wrong with Pantera, Keith?!?!
thrash metal maniac

Postby Bangover on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:32 pm

Slayer get a lot of jip sometimes but there still a great band who have released some absolute masterpieces and i think almost everyone whos into thrash has had a phase where they where really into Slayer. I know had one.
Bangover

Postby thrash metal maniac on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:35 pm

Bangover wrote:Slayer get a lot of jip sometimes but there still a great band who have released some absolute masterpieces and i think almost everyone whos into thrash has had a phase where they where really into Slayer. I know had one.

I've been into Slayer for aaaaages, I can't ever imagine Hell Awaits getting old, I don't listen to the other albums so much, but I sometimes get into the Slayer mood and give 'em a spin :twisted:
thrash metal maniac

Postby boovidge on Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:19 pm

i wasnt really fond of slayer until recently to be honest. I listen to RIB SOH and SITA most.

I think people on here are a bit harsh to Pantera (over rated as they are).
Metal Iain wrote:This board has nothing to do with the 'scene'. It's more just about 10 or so pricks who used to like Thrash that, for one reason or another, waste a lot of time posting on here.

boovidge

Postby Atom on Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm

I used to listen to a lot of Pantera then gradually got out of it mainly because of Phil's voice and because the music was becoming less and less thrashy by the album.

I do listen to CFH occasionally though.
Atom

Postby Metal Iain on Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:45 pm

keith_amok wrote:hmm ive no real urge to listen to slayer anymore. If the occasional song comes on in the pub or whatever then il like it but i couldnt see myself listening through a whole album. I used to when i was young but back then i thought pantera were amazing as well :roll: lol

This man exudes truth.

Although I always said Pantera were shit, and they were.

At first they were a poor-man's Judas Priest with an awesome guitar player. They then became a poor-man's Exhorder (another GASH band) with an awesome guitar player and then completed their evolution to total shite by basically inventing Nu Metal whilst allowing their awesome guitar player to stop playing properly.
Metal Iain

Postby MartinC on Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:22 pm

Reign in Blood makes all the shit bands on here look like pussies.
MartinC

Postby Atom on Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:25 pm

Or, all the pussy bands look like shit.
Atom