Welcome to UK Thrash!

Brass Tremolo Blocks

Chat about playing musical instruments

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Brass Tremolo Blocks

Postby Metal Iain on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:04 pm

This one is really just for Floyd Rose people and guitar geeks in general. I came across a site called http://www.floydupgrades.com after seeing a guy on YouTube going on about installing brass tremolo blocks. Sadly, the guy who runs floydupgrades.com doesn't seem to ship out with the USA but I managed to track down a guy who sells massive blocks on eBay. Here's a comparison between the block that came with the Floyd Rose and the one I just bought:

Basically, the added size and the fact they're made out of brass - as in the same stuff they make saxophones etc out of - means you get way more mid-range and sustain than you otherwise would on a tremolo-equipped guitar. The one I got is so big that it means you can't pull the bar up any more but I seldom do harmonic screams and the like anyway. I'm fucking impressed with this thing like. It's probably made the guitar sound twice as good as before. My brother thought I'd been trying out some new pedals - I never use them - but it was just playing through the amp as per. It was quite easy to install too:

The fact that you can't pull up on the Floyd Rose also means that, if you snap a string, the others will remain in tune. Changing strings is a bit easier too but I've never minded setting up Floyd Roses anyway. I doubt many people on here will be interested in this but, for £30, I'm pretty stoked that my guitar sounds so much better.
Metal Iain

Re: Brass Tremolo Blocks

Postby Magnificent S Pendergast on Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:14 am

It's a nice idea - I suppose a machined block would resonate better than the cast blocks they put in the back by default whichever metal it is made of (within reason). I was reading about Kahlers and you can get all kinds of different roller barrels for similar reasons, which is good - its about time the floyds caught up in that respect.

I would be interested if they made smaller ones so you could bend up.
Magnificent S Pendergast

Postby Lev on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:29 am

I would probably have something decent to say on this issue if I could be arsed. It'd reasonably long, you'd agree with me and that'd about it. So yeah...just so you know.
James wrote:This Facebook notification says it all really:

Martin James Crawford became a fan of Heretic (1 fan).
Lev

Postby Metal Iain on Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:57 pm

Magnificent S Pendergast wrote:It's a nice idea - I suppose a machined block would resonate better than the cast blocks they put in the back by default whichever metal it is made of (within reason). I was reading about Kahlers and you can get all kinds of different roller barrels for similar reasons, which is good - its about time the floyds caught up in that respect.

I would be interested if they made smaller ones so you could bend up.

The guy at Floyd Upgrades makes them smaller. He may ship if you annoy him but I couldn't be arsed and I'm pretty good at being annoying.
Metal Iain

Postby Magnificent S Pendergast on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:05 pm

I can't be arsed either, it'd be way down my list.
Magnificent S Pendergast

Postby meluaz on Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:15 am

its at the top of mein
Image Image
MartinC wrote:HOW CAN PEARL JAM BE GOOD?! THEY ARE NOT METALLSSSS!!!1111

/Zurab
meluaz