Welcome to UK Thrash!

Astra (new Rise Above band, prog amazingness)

General music discussion

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Astra (new Rise Above band, prog amazingness)

Postby jonny_boy34 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:15 pm

Rise Above Records have bloody well done it again and signed another unbelievably amazing and ridiculous band. Another prog one, with a similar organic olden days feel to Diagonal, but more Pink Floyd influenced, and also with some symphonic prog influence I think. Definitely a heavy dose of early King Crimson there too. They are American but the sing with an English accent, which is brilliant. Listen to some clips from their new album 'The Weirding' on their MySpace site, they're bloody incredible. I need to buy this album immediately! The front cover is amazing too.

http://www.myspace.com/astrasound
Last edited by jonny_boy34 on Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonny_boy34

Re: Astra (new Rise Above band)

Postby Dian Wei on Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:50 pm

Yes they seem highly sexually charged.
Gee.... I don't know about the rest of you guys, but lately the only things that truly motivate me are erections and bowel movements.

Thank the Police coming straight from the underground...
Dian Wei

Re: Astra (new Rise Above band, prog amazingness)

Postby jonny_boy34 on Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:04 pm

I finally found this album yesterday in HMV in Covent Garden, so I quickly snapped it up. It's definitely as amazing as I thought it would be, and makes me want to cry occasionally as all good prog does. It's nice prog as well, no crazy time signatures or sudden madness, just lovely sweeping songs that take their time in taking you into the world of lovely boys. Definitely a cross between Meddle-era Pink Floyd and the first three King Crimson albums, with their own slice of lovely joy. It's like being in a far away land on a journey through the Forgotten City of the Ancients. An absolutely wonderful album.

BUY IT NOW EVERYONE!!! LOOK AT THE AMAZING ARTWORK!@!@!@!21

jonny_boy34

Postby Bangover on Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:49 pm

I heard this the other day and it's pretty much amazing, I might bum it soon.
zurabmelua wrote:heretic are absolutely shit!!!

Bangover

Postby Dian Wei on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:25 pm

I've listened to this proper now and i have to say i was slightly underwhelmed by it all personally.
Gee.... I don't know about the rest of you guys, but lately the only things that truly motivate me are erections and bowel movements.

Thank the Police coming straight from the underground...
Dian Wei

Postby jonny_boy34 on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:28 pm

How many times have you listened to it? For me, it was around the third time I time when I began to fully feel amazing with this album. It definitely wasn't quite as instantly amazing as the Diagonal album was, but very quickly it has become on par with it, for me. There are a few really long tracks, so I think it'll take a while to fully get into it, but I intend to listen to it a million times a day, I really really love it.
jonny_boy34