Welcome to UK Thrash!

Doom Metal Recommendations?

General music discussion

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Re: Doom Metal Recommendations?

Postby Scoobmaster on Wed May 20, 2009 7:25 pm

Shugmaster wrote:Confessor & Trouble for me.

Has Kory Clarke recorded anything with the Touble guys yet? Will be strange to hear 'em without Eric.

Got a live album with him singing, The band is still awesome but Kory is PISH :shame:
Scoobmaster

Postby Dian Wei on Wed May 20, 2009 9:35 pm

Yeah the new guy really isn't very good i'm afraid.
Gee.... I don't know about the rest of you guys, but lately the only things that truly motivate me are erections and bowel movements.

Thank the Police coming straight from the underground...
Dian Wei

Postby blacktears on Wed May 20, 2009 11:01 pm

Hmm, I don't know if I would call BLOOD CEREMONY et al Doom, to be honest. They very much belong to the 70s phenomenom called "Downer Rock", though those bands are not all that downer either, they have a lighter blissful edge to them. I enjoy their sounds though.

I wouldn't call OGRE Doom either. They follow more in the ilk of bands like Bloodrock, Sir Lord Baltimore, Bang, Budgie, 1st album Rush, etc. Pure 70s Rock with a modern edge.

PALE DIVINE is definitely Doom and awesome to boot. I was meant to be writing the sleeve notes to their reissue of "Crimson Tears",but I just didn't have the time to do it at that time.

Also from the US, and in the same vein - the mighty ORODRUIN, which has been quiet for far too long!
http://www.myspace.com/orodruin

There's also APOSTLE OF SOLITUDE, with members that were in THE KEEP, with Karl Simon of THE GATES OF SLUMBER. http://www.myspace.com/apostleofsolitude

For those of you that rated REVEREND BIZARRE, also check out Peter Vicar's new outfit - LORD VICAR. I like their 1st album a lot.

Sami/Albert Witchfinder is now the singer of Finnish band SPIRITUS MORTIS. Not only is it the oldest Doom band from Finland (formed in 1987) but it is one hell of a band. With Sami's vocals, it is sounding awesome and the new album is going to kill.

Just listen to "Man of Steel" (more classic Metal than Doom that one though) from it on their My Space site - http://www.myspace.com/spiritusmortis

Also from FInland, and with a REVEREND BIZARRE fetish, is CARDINAL'S FOLLY. The track "Blood Axis Raiders", from their upcoming new EP, is one Heavy Doom monster in a REVBIZ vein...

http://www.myspace.com/cardinalsfolly

As for the Kory Clarke Trouble line-up. The guy was a knob in WARRIOR SOUL when I saw them at the Marquee and I am not surprised the feedback has been negative. As SAINT VITUS once proudly proclaimed on their t-shirts - "Fuck that weak shit!"
Last edited by blacktears on Wed May 20, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras"
blacktears

Postby James on Wed May 20, 2009 11:05 pm

Aaargh, I've wanted Orodruin's 'Epicurian Mass' for so long!! It doesn't seem to be too widely available, and every time I've seen it I haven't quite acted on my plans.
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

"No Hellscourger, I would not like a strawberry."
James
Administrator

Postby blacktears on Wed May 20, 2009 11:11 pm

James wrote:Aaargh, I've wanted Orodruin's 'Epicurian Mass' for so long!! It doesn't seem to be too widely available, and every time I've seen it I haven't quite acted on my plans.

This news from Psychedoomelic Records should make you happy - with bonus tracks...

ORODRUIN - EPICUREAN MASS DIGIPACK CD (PSY 036)
(RE-ISSUE, OUT NOW!)

The classic debut of our favourite US doomsters Orodruin gets a proper re-issue with bonus tracks appearing on the split LP w/ Reverend Bizarre. It comes with reworked artwork and booklet. ORODRUIN are outstanding of the mass of doomy releases! Their songs have an indescribable flair, which combines the best moments of TROUBLE, CATHEDRAL and SAINT VITUS.
blacktears

Postby James on Wed May 20, 2009 11:18 pm

Might you be getting any copies Russ? There are a number of other titles from your latest list I've earmarked to order.
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

"No Hellscourger, I would not like a strawberry."
James
Administrator

Postby blacktears on Wed May 20, 2009 11:20 pm

I may take a few - though I have sold loads in various reissues, so I don't know what the demand will be like. I have at least one interested party though, ha ha
blacktears

Postby TORSO on Wed May 20, 2009 11:32 pm

I have the new lord Vicar album in the mail at the moment, after hearing a few tracks i'm rather looking forward to it turning up...

And yes Cardinals Folly are good as well, when is their second EP out?

Been listening to Mirror Of Deception recently and The River recently.
INTO THE REACTOR!
TORSO

Postby Dian Wei on Wed May 20, 2009 11:49 pm

Recently...

James forwarded over your list BT, looks very promising! I'm sure once i've got a bit more spare cash i'll be making some purchases.
Gee.... I don't know about the rest of you guys, but lately the only things that truly motivate me are erections and bowel movements.

Thank the Police coming straight from the underground...
Dian Wei

Postby TORSO on Wed May 20, 2009 11:57 pm

Dian Wei wrote:Recently...

Thats what i get when i start writing a post, stop, then come back to it. :lol:
INTO THE REACTOR!
TORSO

Postby blacktears on Thu May 21, 2009 12:03 am

TORSO wrote:I have the new lord Vicar album in the mail at the moment, after hearing a few tracks i'm rather looking forward to it turning up...

And yes Cardinals Folly are good as well, when is their second EP out?

Been listening to Mirror Of Deception recently and The River recently.

The CARDINAL'S FOLLY is still waiting for release I think. Of course, they had a couple of earlier EPs out when they used to be called THE COVEN - still in the same vein.

Have you picked up the MIRROR OF DECEPTION/GARDEN OF WORM split LP yet? The MOD tracks are great on that. GOW are no slouches either.

I believe the new THE RIVER album is going to be a bit more uptempo - well, slightly :)
blacktears

Postby blacktears on Thu May 21, 2009 12:15 am

Psychedoomelic is trying to flog me the new BLACK PYRAMID album as well. Heard them - sounds decent..

http://www.myspace.com/blackpyramidkills
blacktears

Postby blacktears on Thu May 21, 2009 12:25 am

For ELECTRIC WIZARD fans - check out the track "The Futurist" from STARCHILD's first album - www.myspace.com/starchild

Massive sludge Doom! The 2nd album was tamer.
blacktears

Postby jonny_boy34 on Thu May 21, 2009 2:30 am

I bought Wizard's last album Witchcult Today a while ago, before that Rise Above gig in December, it's a fantastic album. I need to get Dope Throne next. I too am feeling the want to get into some more doom, it's amazing to see live when you're drunk and can't believe how slow and amazing everything is. I nearly died when I saw Wizard live, I could hardly move afterwards.

Does everyone here know how amazingly incredible DEAD EXISTENCE are? It's Fred from Nebukadnezza and Jake's (who used to be in Damnas ages and ages ago before I joined) band of absolute doom and stoner amazingness. They really are supreme beyond words.
jonny_boy34

Postby Metalbrew Stu on Thu May 21, 2009 11:12 am

Dian Wei wrote:I'm personally loving blood ceremony atm, think early sabbath but with flutes and a female vocalist.

No way. I can't get into blood ceremony. I was promised sabbath and tull on equal levels. I got a band trying to sound like sabbath and tull, doing neither well and with terrible vocals. No thanks.

thrashduck wrote:Are you a small boy? :D
Metalbrew Stu