Welcome to UK Thrash!

RESILIENCE RECORDS X-MAS BASH @ THE PURPLE TURTLE!!!

Discussion about upcoming gigs and gig swaps

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Re: RESILIENCE RECORDS X-MAS BASH @ THE PURPLE TURTLE!!!

Postby meluaz on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:27 pm

there was this man who kept staring at me weird and i thought it was lev cause he looked exactly like a picture i saw of him on here
Image Image
MartinC wrote:HOW CAN PEARL JAM BE GOOD?! THEY ARE NOT METALLSSSS!!!1111

/Zurab
meluaz

Postby Creeping Dan on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:44 pm

meluaz wrote:the whole of mutant set was filmed, not sure about others

They best DVD it or something.
Rub my face... up and down
Creeping Dan

Postby Craig on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:58 pm

Well fuck the Pope and call him a Catholic. That was insane. Firstly, well done to Jamie for putting on yet another amazing gig, this was - believe it or not - my first UKT gig outside of Metalbrew, and on the evidence of last night, will be the first of many. Not really got much to say, so I'll keep this pretty short.

I didn't really catch much of Elimination, but what I did see was really promising, nice to hear some local (Essex) guys doing the thrash scene proud.

Deceptor. These guys should have been way further up the bill in my opinion, despite some guitar string breakage it was an extremely solid set, definitely enjoyable and definitely awesome.

STD were pretty good, though I'm admittedly not much of a fan of the politicised thrash angle, Caps' antics alone was worth it.

Now, River Freshney. I do know that it's not meant to be entirely serious, but I did feel the set bordered on farcical at times. Not even sure what the hell was up with both guitars missing the top B/e strings and the bass missing the top G, but each to their own I guess. Credit where credit's due though, the costumes were pretty good - probably the best part of their set, in my opinion anyway.

Now, fucking hell. Damnas. Just absolutely, mind-blowingly amazing. Jon - what a fucking guy, to go out and play two sets in a row was just superhuman. Really, really enjoyable set from the Damnas guys.

Mutant. Just ... fucking ... Mutant. These guys are - without a shadow of a doubt - the best band I have seen live. So many classic riffs, and such awesome lyrics and song titles. Zombie Holocaust, Turbo-Hyper-Ultra-Mega-Power (THUMP), Psycho Surgery, every song is a classic. Great guest vocal appearance by Paul for Psycho Surgery, and some nice subtle Christmas lyric-changes. The whole of the Mutant set was being filmed, though I'm not entirely sure why. Really, really looking forward to the EP in January.

So, that's about it. Cheers to Tom for the shout for UKT, and also big thanks to Bill and Lewis for doing the Toxic Tapes DVD, and to our very own Zombie Santa (aka Rik) for going on-stage with Bill and Lewis and handing (and throwing) them out, it really did go down well, and shows what a great scene and community there is here.
Personal Site | Freelance Web Design | Last.fm

Bash.org wrote:<Patrician|Away> what does your robot do, sam
<bovril> it collects data about the surrounding environment, then discards it and drives into walls
Craig
Administrator

Postby Lev on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:01 pm

Craig wrote:Mutant. These guys are - without a shadow of a doubt - the best band I have seen live.

:?
James wrote:This Facebook notification says it all really:

Martin James Crawford became a fan of Heretic (1 fan).
Lev

Postby Craig on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:05 pm

OK, I'll revise that. One of the best bands I've seen live. Definitely the best band of the new thrash generation, live and in the studio. The EP will be immense.

<bovril> it collects data about the surrounding environment, then discards it and drives into walls
Craig
Administrator

Postby Lev on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:08 pm

I was thinking. There's no way Mutant are better than WWRY.

Lev

Postby MartinC on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:08 pm

One of the best bands I've seen live is Kanye West.

Now I ain't sayin' she a gold digga....
MartinC

Postby Craig on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:10 pm

Lev wrote:I was thinking. There's no way Mutant are better than WWRY.

Oh piss off. That's like comparing an Aston DB9 and an Ariel Atom. One is obviously the safer choice but the other, while totally ripping your face off, throwing it back at you and ramming it down your windpipe, is equally as enjoyable.

Edit: Links added for non-petrolheads

Craig
Administrator

Postby Lev on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:14 pm

Yeah those DB9s...woo...yeah....

What?

Lev

Postby Dian Wei on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:14 pm

God that was a seriously uncomprehendingly good night. Each moment just got better and better, i still can't stop smiling.

I missed Elimination and Freshney (Though i saw some photos of the turtle antics, insane amount of effort!)

Deceptor were fantastic as ever, more is required of you! Do you hear me? MORE! and will someone please get the Mutant split sorted within our lifetimes?

STD, well i had only listened (albeit briefly) to your guys Myspace tracks and that in now way prepared me for it. Mental sound, and it so intense all the time. Caps being himself as only he can. Overall good stuff can't wait to hear it all again, though maybe keep the boxers on next time. I love you man, but there are boundary issues.

Damnas, easily the best i've ever seen you. Everything just worked, you guys are one of my total favourites. S.O.S is an amazing song, i can't wait to hear it recorded and all good times.

Mutant, fucking hells alive. I just can't even, i don't have the words really. Jon is a machine, an amazing endurance contest and my hat and praise and everything goes off to him. But yes anyway, Mutant are pretty much the best band in the entire world and i am going to buy 98 copies of the EP and make a raft so i can travel the world telling tales of their glory.

I'm still very much dead, i've not pitted proper for a while and that was very intensive.

Thank you to Jamie and everyone that grabbed a copy of the tapes.
Gee.... I don't know about the rest of you guys, but lately the only things that truly motivate me are erections and bowel movements.

Thank the Police coming straight from the underground...
Dian Wei

Postby Raging Paul on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:30 pm

Wow, that was totally blorching in every way! Was great fun to play a show with Deceptor again, thanks to the crowd for being so awesome during our string breakage moments! Hopefully we'll get some more rehearsals done and start learning some new songs soon. Damnas were awesome as usual, and Mutant were definitely the best I've ever seen them; well done Jon!!! It was killer to sing without playing bass for a while, but I have no idea how people that do that all the time don't pass out after two songs. Well done Jamie for another awesome night!!!!
Raging Paul

Postby TORSO on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:33 pm

I have just woken up and i defiantly think thats one for the annuals of great UK Thrash gigs, all the bands played ace sets and it was great to see everyone. Also the DVD give away seemed to go down pretty well so im glad about that!

Cheers Jaime!
INTO THE REACTOR!
TORSO

Postby meluaz on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:02 pm

james , why are u so violent in the pit
Image Image
MartinC wrote:HOW CAN PEARL JAM BE GOOD?! THEY ARE NOT METALLSSSS!!!1111

/Zurab
meluaz

Postby James on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:05 pm

Remarkable, quite remarkable! I haven't had so much fun in many moons. Tired, smelly, hungover and bruised - it's what Christmas is all about really. And all thanks to our very own Lapland elf Jamie.

Agree with everyone's comments basically - from what I heard of Elimination they are a totally killer band, I've enjoyed them in the past but they seem to have really nailed their sound now. "Improved tenfold" was a good way to put it Faraz.

It's been ages since I've seen STD and it was a very enjoyable blend of noise, angriness, cool pinch harmonics and Caps's "key areas". I'm glad personally the politics was kept to a minimum because I found it a bit preachy the last time I saw them, whereas last night was much more entertaining, for me.

Damnas live were unstoppable!!! I can't say I noticed any hiccups, it was just totally face-melting. Ruddy hell... it's Damnas.

It was wicked to see Mutant headlining such a cool night, I was feeling nice and fizzy by this point and did lots of jumping around with many forum faces. "Coke can neck" is always the sign of a good gig, even if you don't have long hair! :cry: The EP is going to BLOW PEOPLE'S MINDS, mark my words. Also Paul's appearance was really good, did anyone catch the Christmas lyrics? "I never give in to mince pies!"

The Toxic Tapes hand-out seemed to go well too, well done to Torso Productions for such a great chapter in the scene, it's a really cool product with a good message. Also thanks to Santa Rik for some impromptu warhammer bits :lol:

All in all it was just great to see so many familiar faces having so much fun. Happy Birthday Jesus, shame you’re not as godly as Jamie, both in the gigs department and the beard department.

And on that bombshell... I need a shower.

P.S. thank you to Lewis's dad for taking us home, and also for pulling over so I could do one of the longest urinations of my entire life (and I didn't even fully empty the tank). Classy!
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

"No Hellscourger, I would not like a strawberry."
James
Administrator

Postby Bangover on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:09 pm

nkqrwASV
zurabmelua wrote:heretic are absolutely shit!!!

Bangover