Talk about thrash from the UK.

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Spotify users!

Postby Nixon on Sun May 09, 2010 3:25 pm

Nixon

Re: Spotify users!

Postby Dian Wei on Sun May 09, 2010 3:47 pm

Nice one.
Gee.... I don't know about the rest of you guys, but lately the only things that truly motivate me are erections and bowel movements.

Thank the Police coming straight from the underground...
Dian Wei

Postby MartinC on Mon May 10, 2010 3:34 pm

How do you put your stuff on Spotify?
MartinC

Postby meluaz on Wed May 12, 2010 8:51 am

MartinC wrote:How do you put your stuff on Spotify?

magic
Image Image
MartinC wrote:HOW CAN PEARL JAM BE GOOD?! THEY ARE NOT METALLSSSS!!!1111

/Zurab
meluaz

Postby Lee4 on Wed May 12, 2010 2:24 pm

POW
Lee4

Postby metaldazza on Sat May 15, 2010 12:21 am

MartinC wrote:How do you put your stuff on Spotify?

First register your music with a spotify registered aggregator i.e. CD Baby, then tell the aggregator that you would like your music to appear on spotify network and wait.... and wait and basically never see a penny. It's just like the real music business.

It's all here: http://www.spotify.com/uk/work-with-us/ ... d-artists/
New Metal Army - ALL the metal news from ALL the top websites in one place.
NMA on Twitter NMA on MySpace NMA on YouTube
metaldazza

Postby MartinC on Sat May 15, 2010 10:10 am

Cheers mate, I shall look into it. We don't sell any CDs anyway so it wouldn't make a difference to us. I just noticed Lee's avatar - great stuff!
MartinC

Postby Nixon on Sat May 15, 2010 10:32 am

costs us £35 and it's on spotify and amazon to buy, so... class
Nixon

Postby metaldazza on Sat May 15, 2010 11:42 am

I did quite a lot of research into Spotify a few months back and here is what I discovered/remember:

• you need to use an aggregator which costs money, Nixon's £35 quid seems reasonable. I've seen £20-£100 but they all offer extra fees, sometimes yearly subscriptions, penalties for changes etc. Read the small small print on that. Most offer more like amazon, 7Digital, Play.com etc.
  • for some aggregators it costs more to remove your music from spotify as they need to pay spotify to do it, who charge a fee. This sucks and spotify are working on an automated way of doing it.
  • the payback rates are VERY low you get approximately 1-2p per subscribed user that listens to a whole track and 0.2p per free user that listens to a whole track. Spotify only pay back when you reach a certain amount for example £25 but I couldn't get a definite answer on what that amount was. Most of the big artists are shocked at how little they get as their label will take 90% of their pennies.
  • Most but not all aggregators give you 100% of your Spotify money, some skim 10% or more off.
  • At the moment Spotify is quite lame for unsigned bands with little hope of more publicity but this will change in the next year or so. They plan to add better recommendation tools, merch sales and simple promotional tools all working on the spotify platforms. Their plans for an open music platform are quite exciting and I think they do want to change the world but....
  • Spotify is basically owned by the big record labels so it will always be in their advantage and not ours :(

In the end I think Spotify is great for all bands as just getting more people to hear your music is basically what it's all about BUT once again I think it will ultimately fail:

• the record labels own a controlling share and they will want to drive Spotify to sell more high value goods and drop free users so they can increase profits
  • Apple just spent $1 billion on a server farm and bought music streaming service lala and there are lots of rumours it's for iTunes music streaming service. Which makes sense as they have been asking the major labels to get on board with something like this for 5 or more years.

That's all I can remember, sorry for boring you all with that :)
New Metal Army - ALL the metal news from ALL the top websites in one place.
NMA on Twitter NMA on MySpace NMA on YouTube
metaldazza