Welcome to UK Thrash!

Doom Metal Recommendations?

General music discussion

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Re: Doom Metal Recommendations?

Postby Mazz on Thu May 21, 2009 2:50 pm

Metalbrew Stu wrote:
Dian Wei wrote:I'm personally loving blood ceremony atm, think early sabbath but with flutes and a female vocalist.

No way. I can't get into blood ceremony. I was promised sabbath and tull on equal levels. I got a band trying to sound like sabbath and tull, doing neither well and with terrible vocals. No thanks.

Satan says "Fuck you Stu....Fuck you"
"...maybe we'll play some twister and do some breakdancing?"

http://www.myspace.com/groanuk
http://www.myspace.com/ratzzzass
Mazz

Postby blacktears on Thu May 21, 2009 7:01 pm

jonny_boy34 wrote:I bought Wizard's last album Witchcult Today a while ago, before that Rise Above gig in December, it's a fantastic album. I need to get Dope Throne next. I too am feeling the want to get into some more doom, it's amazing to see live when you're drunk and can't believe how slow and amazing everything is. I nearly died when I saw Wizard live, I could hardly move afterwards.

Does everyone here know how amazingly incredible DEAD EXISTENCE are? It's Fred from Nebukadnezza and Jake's (who used to be in Damnas ages and ages ago before I joined) band of absolute doom and stoner amazingness. They really are supreme beyond words.

Wasn't DEAD EXISTENCE that godawful band that was on at the last Metalbrew? Sorry, the whole set bored me rigid (listening to the My Space recording, it sounds like it was). Drone, Drone, Drone.

ELECTRIC WIZARD is OK, but they've been recording the same album since "Come My Fanatics". The 1st album was a corker though, in a proper Doom vein. At least Jus sings properly on that one :)
"Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras"
blacktears

Postby Dian Wei on Thu May 21, 2009 8:20 pm

Mazz wrote:
Metalbrew Stu wrote:
Dian Wei wrote:I'm personally loving blood ceremony atm, think early sabbath but with flutes and a female vocalist.

No way. I can't get into blood ceremony. I was promised sabbath and tull on equal levels. I got a band trying to sound like sabbath and tull, doing neither well and with terrible vocals. No thanks.

Satan says "Fuck you Stu....Fuck you"

With bells, Stu i once thought we could be lovers. Now i know you're just another........... i've ran out of ideas. You big wet arse.
Gee.... I don't know about the rest of you guys, but lately the only things that truly motivate me are erections and bowel movements.

Thank the Police coming straight from the underground...
Dian Wei

Postby jonny_boy34 on Thu May 21, 2009 10:16 pm

I've got to say, I agree with Stu... I haven't the whole album, but what I have heard did absolutely nothing for me. And I don't like that singer at all. I generally find female singers in metal/heavy hard rocking bands a novelty that rarely works. And I can't even think of an example now where it has worked. Invasion, now it would work with them if the singer was a bit more creative with her vocal melodies, as she has an amazing voice. But unfortunately, she doesn't seem to do that from what I've seen. Anyway, basically, Blood Ceremony, not very amazing for me thanks.
jonny_boy34

Postby blacktears on Thu May 21, 2009 10:29 pm

There are a few good female fronted bands though - Force (pre-Iron Man), Ignitor, Crystal Viper, Sirens of Titan, Lucubro/Warhorse, Y Diawled (Welsh NWOBHM band). I don't mind a bit of early Warlock either.
blacktears

Postby Bestial Bill on Fri May 22, 2009 8:49 am

The Hellion MLP is decent female fronted stuff I'd say too. Hardly doom of course haha. And the Y Diawled singles are godly!
'Summon the cleansing of this world! Armageddon unleashed upon Earth!'
Bestial Bill

Postby Mazz on Fri May 22, 2009 9:31 am

jonny_boy34 wrote:I've got to say, I agree with Stu... I haven't the whole album, but what I have heard did absolutely nothing for me. And I don't like that singer at all. I generally find female singers in metal/heavy hard rocking bands a novelty that rarely works. And I can't even think of an example now where it has worked. Invasion, now it would work with them if the singer was a bit more creative with her vocal melodies, as she has an amazing voice. But unfortunately, she doesn't seem to do that from what I've seen. Anyway, basically, Blood Ceremony, not very amazing for me thanks.

Her voice turns me on.

Mazz

Postby Mazz on Fri May 22, 2009 4:09 pm

Rising Dust from france are very good. I'm listening to them at the moment. B+

Mazz

Postby blacktears on Fri May 22, 2009 6:39 pm

Aye, RISING DUST was formed from the ashes of DARK WHITE, another great band. Sadly, I don't think their MCD ever did see the proper light of day back in the 90s, but it is probably to be found on download somewhere. DARK WHITE was slower and darker than RISING DUST.

The other decent French band is NORTHWINDS.
blacktears