Welcome to UK Thrash!

Jackson Guitars/help picking guitar

Chat about playing musical instruments

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Jackson Guitars/help picking guitar

Postby origamikid on Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:31 am

Hey guys,

I was looking for opinion on Jackson...and more the point.... the King V's and RR.

Basically i bought a KVX10 earlier this year...and tbh am not that happy with it. IT is a pre-copyfloyed rose model...new...which i was dam happy with.... but overall .. i dunno the neck doesnt play that well and the quality doesnt seem to be their...like is expected with a jackson.

I was wondering does anyone play a RR, like the RR5 in particular ? If so how does it play and have you played the RR3 if so how does it stack up compared?

I am thinking of investing in a good purchase so trying to decide whether to get: RR5, gibson V or gibson explorer.... or mabye i will wait it out untill another KV1 Dave mustaine sig goes up on ebay (one went like 2 weeks ago for like £450..if i had the money i would have fucking got that, so cheap considering they usually go for like £600...pissed off i was considering i get £500 from the government in jan just for going to uni :D lol)

So yea..opinions?
Fistful Of Metal Magazine- Coming soon .... (http://www.origamikid.wordpress.com)
UK Editor for: http://www.metal-temple.com
Blog This Shit UP: http://origamikid.wordpress.com

James wrote:I don't hate them, I just think they're a disgrace to metal.

H.O.D. Feemo wrote:I play girls aloud a lot with my walkman on while walking the dog, some chavs caught me dancing once.
Gay enough?
origamikid

Re: Jackson Guitars/help picking guitar

Postby Dian Wei on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:49 pm

I bought the F'main's old RR3 and i am quite happy with it.

Now it is Martin's turn to slag them off for nine pages.
Gee.... I don't know about the rest of you guys, but lately the only things that truly motivate me are erections and bowel movements.

Thank the Police coming straight from the underground...
Dian Wei

Postby thrash metal maniac on Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:04 pm

Origamikid, is it set up properly? could just be badly adjusted (or not adjusted at all), which would make things more difficult....
thrash metal maniac

Postby Metal Iain on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:05 pm

I have a KVX10 from about five years ago before they came with the shite Floyds Jackson use and it's sitting in another room with no strings on it, gathering dust. I'm half thinking of using it to tune to open C because I've been listening to Devin Townsend a bit recently but doubt I'll get round to doing it.

Basically, I wouldn't recommend you get a Jackson unless it's a USA one or one of the old Japanese Pro Series or Professional (they always get mixed up, even by Jackson) ones from c. 1990. They even had a Pro Series KV1 with a flat-mount Kahler on it and shit. If you just have to have a Jackson, so be it. However, I think there are far better guitars out there for less money than you'd pay for a Japanese Jackson at the moment. You might even try tracking down one of these because they tend to cost a bit less than the RR5.
Last edited by Metal Iain on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal Iain

Postby Bangover on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:07 pm

What harris said

Wait....Harris is here!
zurabmelua wrote:heretic are absolutely shit!!!

Bangover

Postby meluaz on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:10 pm

get a gibson explorer, feels better than any jacksons ive played
Image Image
MartinC wrote:HOW CAN PEARL JAM BE GOOD?! THEY ARE NOT METALLSSSS!!!1111

/Zurab
meluaz

Postby Lev on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:17 pm

Jacksons are fairly shite unless you're spending a good amount of ca-ching.
James wrote:This Facebook notification says it all really:

Martin James Crawford became a fan of Heretic (1 fan).
Lev

Postby Metal Iain on Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:41 pm

So buying second hand is tres advisable. The only problem here is that there are USA models you rarely come across on eBay, e.g. Warriors. I've been looking into getting a Dinky or Soloist and they always seem to come up, though.
Metal Iain

Postby origamikid on Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:34 pm

Hmm i think il just save for a Gibson. How do they play?

Well if a kv1 mustaine sig does come along i will snap it up...but i do love the body shape of the RR just not the company who makes them these days...fender...
Fistful Of Metal Magazine- Coming soon .... (http://www.origamikid.wordpress.com)
UK Editor for: http://www.metal-temple.com
Blog This Shit UP: http://origamikid.wordpress.com

James wrote:I don't hate them, I just think they're a disgrace to metal.

H.O.D. Feemo wrote:I play girls aloud a lot with my walkman on while walking the dog, some chavs caught me dancing once.
Gay enough?
origamikid

Postby Lev on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:12 am

Just grow a sack and buy an LTD MH-1000.
James wrote:This Facebook notification says it all really:

Martin James Crawford became a fan of Heretic (1 fan).
Lev

Postby Magnificent S Pendergast on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:45 pm

Oh Lev...

Anyway, I have a pre-Fender KV4 which is japanese made and totally rocks in every possible way. It's a through neck - I wouldnt entertain a bolt on pointy as it makes top fret access difficult. I have also recently acquired a Fender era Rhoads, similar to the RR5 in that it is a through neck, although it is made of Mahogany. This also completely rocks (see the HOD world tour thread).

In conclusion, the people who moan about Fender Jacksons have probably played the cheapo ones where the quality would be dubious at best no matter who owns the company.

In conclusion, you get what you pay for - save up and get a Ran. I would only they don't accept credit cards!
Magnificent S Pendergast

Postby Metal Iain on Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:37 pm

origamikid wrote:Hmm i think il just save for a Gibson. How do they play?

Well if a kv1 mustaine sig does come along i will snap it up...but i do love the body shape of the RR just not the company who makes them these days...fender...

Just try them out.

The only thing that changed at Jackson when Fender took over was that they cut back the Custom Shop a bit. You still get plenty of guitars coming out of the Custom Shop. £300 Jacksons were equally as shit before Fender bought over the company.
Metal Iain

Postby Metal Iain on Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:38 pm

Magnificent S Pendergast wrote:Oh Lev...

Anyway, I have a pre-Fender KV4 which is japanese made and totally rocks in every possible way. It's a through neck - I wouldnt entertain a bolt on pointy as it makes top fret access difficult. I have also recently acquired a Fender era Rhoads, similar to the RR5 in that it is a through neck, although it is made of Mahogany. This also completely rocks (see the HOD world tour thread).

In conclusion, the people who moan about Fender Jacksons have probably played the cheapo ones where the quality would be dubious at best no matter who owns the company.

In conclusion, you get what you pay for - save up and get a Ran. I would only they don't accept credit cards!

I've had a couple of quotes from Ran and they really don't seem to be that great value for money. I can understand getting one if you want a completely custom guitar but I think I'd sooner just buy an ESP or USA Jackson for less money than a Ran.
Metal Iain

Postby Magnificent S Pendergast on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:16 pm

Fair enough. Ran's prices have been getting worse, and now the pound is getting shitter they are suffering even more. However, I do want a completely custom guitar, so I'll have to pay the price. One day anyway.
Magnificent S Pendergast

Postby GoreBastard on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:04 pm

I've got an RR and used to have a Jackson Warrior. In my opinion, there are better guitars out there.

The Warrior was shite. It was hard to play and the bridge was too close up to the fretboard. Palm muting seemed hard on it and fast alternate picking was a problem too.

The RR isn't too bad. It's good quality, but again, for some reason It seems harder to do fast as fuck thrashy alternate picking on it than other guitars.

The RR and Warrior I had were both around the £240 range. From what I've heared the more expensive Jacksons are alot better to play, but I can't afford them.

The best buy I've had was my BC Rich Body Art Warlock. It plays perfectly and sounds heavy as fuck.
GoreBastard