Welcome to UK Thrash!

Iron Maiden - THE FINAL FRONTIER

General music discussion

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Re: Iron Maiden - THE FINAL FRONTIER

Postby Dian Wei on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:17 am

haha, i actually really like that.
Gee.... I don't know about the rest of you guys, but lately the only things that truly motivate me are erections and bowel movements.

Thank the Police coming straight from the underground...
Dian Wei

Postby jonny_boy34 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:24 am

I'm laughing more and more, the more i look at it! It's not as bad as Dance of Death... it's kind of cool in a certain way... just not as classy as I hoped, hahaha!

Trying to download the new song, but the internet has literally broken. The tracklisting...

1. "Satellite 15.... The Final Frontier" - 8:40
2. "El Dorado" - 6:49
3. "Mother of Mercy" - 5:20
4. "Coming Home" - 5:52
5. "The Alchemist" - 4:29
6. "Isle of Avalon" - 9:06
7. "Starblind" - 7:48
8. "The Talisman" - 9:03
9. "The Man Who Would Be King" - 8:28
10. "When the Wild Wind Blows" - 10:59

Total Running Time: 76:35.

Looks like another 'epic' album! Released August 16th!
jonny_boy34

Postby jonny_boy34 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:28 am

Someone on the internet is a very, very lovely man...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7VNPSR39

I'll be back in 6 mins.
jonny_boy34

Postby jonny_boy34 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:36 am

Wow, it's pretty galloping and heavy! The production is as muddy and hilarious as expected. It's actually a bit weird and dark, not quite what I expected... and not an E/C/G/D chord progression in sight... promising! But a bit weird. Which is a good thing... hasn't blown me away, but perhaps in a few days I'll be running around saying it's amazing. But for now... okay, I'll be honest, it is actually a bit shit. But I thought that about Benjamin Breeg when I first heard that, and now I think it's brilliant. But it is a bit shit. They've tried really really hard to be different this time... and it's a bit... shit. The verse is quite and heavy fun though. But Nicko really does insist on doing that fill over and over and over again. Oh, and the chorus is rubbish. Oh well. :(
jonny_boy34

Postby Resilience Records on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:31 am

As bad as the artwork.

Infact just like the artwork, it sounds like a first sketch of an idea... not the finished article by any means. If it was a rubbish demo, i'd think their might be promise... what a shame.
Heavy Metal is the Law.
Resilience Records

Postby James on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:21 am

I'll listen to it tonight, but a running time of 76:35 does NOT bode well at all.
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

"No Hellscourger, I would not like a strawberry."
James
Administrator

Postby jonny_boy34 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:59 am

Resilience Records wrote:As bad as the artwork.

Infact just like the artwork, it sounds like a first sketch of an idea... not the finished article by any means. If it was a rubbish demo, i'd think their might be promise... what a shame.

Yeah I know what you mean. It just sounds really really rushed. They did make a point about how lovely and quick it was to write and record the album... and I can see what they mean. What is it with these silly old boys these days? It doesn't hurt to spend a bit of time making an album!!!! Maiden, Priest, Metallica, they all seem to think doing a recording nice and quick makes it raw and rocking, when it just comes out sounding amateur and rushed.

I listened to El Dorado again and thought 'oh nice, it's grown on me', but then that rubbish bridge and chorus bit happened and I realised it was still a bit rubbish. However, there are some song titles on the album that sound like they might be a bit more magical, like Isle Of Avalon (that's my favourite title so far), Starblind, The Alchemist, and the title track especially. And in all honesty El Dorado is a shit title for a song anyway and it reflects in the music. And the last track being nearly 11 minutes long excites me a lot, hopefully it'll be a massive mother like Rime of the Ancient Boys or Sign of the Cross.

I'm all for long songs, as long as they are all as good as Hallowed Be Thy Name. Brave New World only had one song under 5 minutes, and that album was completely amazing (and maybe a fluke!!). Anyway, I still have hope for the rest of the album, there's bound to be a song or two that are a bit rubbish... hopefully... :(
jonny_boy34

Postby Mazz on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:03 am

That artwork is amazing. As a 34 year old man I look forward to wearing that T-Shirt to work.

Not as good as this artwork though.

Or this

The album will rule all.
"...maybe we'll play some twister and do some breakdancing?"

http://www.myspace.com/groanuk
http://www.myspace.com/ratzzzass
Mazz

Postby jonny_boy34 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:09 am

Oh look, here's the artwork for El Dorado, I actually really love it, it's much better than the actual song!

Hahaha, I am glad for your optimism Mazz. You've now made me believe this album will be the best album ever.
Attachments
eldorado.jpg
eldorado.jpg (433.17 KiB) Viewed 116 times
jonny_boy34

Postby Mazz on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:16 am

The thing is..it's a win win. When Iron Maiden are good they are amazing...when they are not so good they are funny.

Mazz

Postby Mazz on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:17 am

I hope the chorus to star blind goes something like this.

"STAAAAAAAAAAARBLIND....COZ I'M LOSING MY MIND."

Mazz

Postby jonny_boy34 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 am

Mazz wrote:The thing is..it's a win win. When Iron Maiden are good they are amazing...when they are not so good they are funny.

Yes, that is very true! This does look like quite a funny album. And hopefully The Talisman will be an Egyptian classic like The Nomad. It's quite funny that the first thing I looked for when I saw the tracklist was for which 'The' songs are on it. They're usually the best ones. And When The Wild Wind Blows is hilarious because it reminds me of how brilliant Stephen Merchant is in Extras.

And now I'm going back to sleep.
jonny_boy34

Postby Resilience Records on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:02 pm

I hope Talisman is a cover of the Battlewitch song "Talisman".
Heavy Metal is the Law.
Resilience Records

Postby Mazz on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:12 pm

It is. They paid me in silk trousers.

Mazz

Postby Craig on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:45 pm

Just listened to it a couple of times, and I'm less than impressed. I originally thought that it was better than some AMOLAD tracks purely because it seems to have energy, but it descends into the same kind of repetitive bridge, the chorus is fairly catchy but it's mainly due to Bruce's vocals than anything else.

The guitar work (and especially the bass work) is really pretty crap, and I'm assuming the solo was Janick's because it just sounded messy and random. I just really hope this isn't a marker for the whole album.

Edit: For those that want to listen:

Personal Site | Freelance Web Design | Last.fm

Bash.org wrote:<Patrician|Away> what does your robot do, sam
<bovril> it collects data about the surrounding environment, then discards it and drives into walls
Craig
Administrator