Welcome to UK Thrash!

Kiss?!?

General music discussion

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Postby Lev on Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:45 pm

Bangover wrote:Lev...Better than Iain....Shitter than martin

Score.
James wrote:This Facebook notification says it all really:

Martin James Crawford became a fan of Heretic (1 fan).
Lev

Postby Metal Iain on Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:55 pm

Lev - Pulverizer wrote:
Metal Iain wrote:
Neither Black Sabbath nor Led Zeppelin have three must-have albums, let alone five! Kiss, on the other hand, do: Kiss, Hotter Than Hell, Dressed To Kill, Destroyer and Love Gun. And that's only if you count the stuff from the '70s...

Heaven And Hell, Mob Rules, Dehumanizer. There's three.

Kiss on the other hand, have about three.......songs you can maybe like when drunk.

Don't be silly!

Dehumanizer is only good because Dio is on it. Had Dio never been affiliated with Black Sabbath they would never have released anything worth listening to. As I've said many a time before, Sabbath were better with Dio and Dio was better without Iommi*.

* Fucking gash guitarist, Ace, Bob Kulick and Bruce Kulick mop the floor with him.
Metal Iain

Postby Metal Iain on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:08 pm

STD_Caps wrote:The riff on Symptom of the Universe is AMAZING! Black Sabbath essentially made the formula for the majority of music I listen to. They also wrote songs about a variety of drugs - something that's a lot more accessible to metalheads than sex. Therefore, theoretically, metallers should relate more to Sabbath themes than KISS. The problem with KISS is that their riffs don't grab me, their lyrics are lame and they are little more than heavy guitar-based pop. Sabbath's riffs grab me, they make me want to nod my head or rock out or at least listen. KISS makes me go, 'who's this?... it's alright. Not great.'

Exactly my point!

Black Sabbath put down the formula for the music people like you like. I mean, the fact that you agree drugs are more accessible to Metalheads than sex speaks volumes for Metalheads and basically sums up what Martin C has been saying here since day one. Do I need to expand upon this?

Have you actually taken time to listen to more than a handful of the Kiss songs that are fairly widely-known? Cold Gin far outstrips any, and I repeat any, riff associated with Black Sabbath. Similarly, the lyrics are based on Ace's teenage alcoholism when he was part of a New York gang. You don't have to sing about drugs to know what it's like to take them. Besides, I hate drugs and everything they stand for. Alcoholism aside, writing about drug addiction seldom gets me interested in lyrics.

STD_Caps wrote:Most people that like KISS would probably say KISS, Destroyer, Love Gun are must owns.
Zeppelin fans would say the first four and Physical Graffiti.
Sabbath fans would say the first six Sabbath albums at least and probably Heaven and Hell too.
Not bollocks. I'm going from what I've seen and read in the metal press.

Dressed To Kill and Kiss are clearly Kiss's best albums and I've found this re-iterated by the Kiss fans I know (I actually know quite a few people who have gone with what I've said previously written Kiss off having ).

I'm a Zeppelin fan and I'd say their only must-have album is II, with Ramble On and What Is And What Should Never be being their best songs. At one point, yeah, I thought they were the be all and end all of the '70s but then I was actually introduced to more bands and realised that they just are not what they are cracked up to be.

God!

You've just remembered me of one of the discs of How the West Was Won.

Jimmy Page the worst live guitarist ever?

I do think so!
Metal Iain

Postby MartinC on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:12 pm

Cold Gin is a wicked song, but I can't say I like anything else they've done.
MartinC

Postby Metal Iain on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:25 pm

MartinC wrote:
Metal Iain wrote:
MartinC wrote:I hate to admit it, but the bhoy makes a good argument.

I'm not a Celtic fan.

You are now.

Never!

Have you seen a recent SPL game?

I couldn't cope with the frustration.
Metal Iain

Postby MartinC on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:29 pm

Yeah, to be fair I've not really been following them recently because it's getting rather dull. Unfortunately, Chesterfield matches are going the same way (they lost today and drew last time), so I'm running out of options.
MartinC

Postby Metal Iain on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:33 pm

Well, the SPL may be one of the fastest leagues about, but it is just fucking dire. I sometimes watch the Scottish version of MotD on a Monday night and it just puts me to sleep.

I followed the SPL religiously in first year, but that's because I was living with guys who were Rangers, Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen fans.
Metal Iain

Postby STD_Caps on Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:05 pm

My comment was intentionally (though truthfully) mocking metalheads and their shitness with women. A fact that, due to my unconventionality as a metal fan (ie I have sensible hair and do not give a flying fuck about fashion), doesn't not really apply to me. I'm shit with women because I drink too much...

To be honest, I don't think either band are particularly good lyrically and I DO think that drugs are normally a very shit lyrical theme...

I'll also admit that I haven't heard a great deal of KISS, beyond the obvious. The riff on Cold Gin is ok. I don't think it's amazing. However, Cold Gin is probably the best song I've heard of theirs. I doubt however much I did listen to KISS they would ever surpass my estimations of Sabbath.

Agree to disagree.
"And what about the churches and all their wealth
There's an unseen fortune under their belts
Are golden temples a symbol of God's way
This horde of wealth is a sickening display"
STD_Caps

Postby keith_amok on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:20 am

Listened to Animalize in the car, some of the riffs on there are fuckin exciting. Id take kiss over zep and sabbath any day

Aye the SPL is gash. The 1st division is even worse even tho my team is winning. Been to a few games this season and its just plain soul destroying. The only decent thing is the banter in the crowd
Come to the THRASH ISLAND!!!!!!!!

SCOTTISH THRASH METAL - http://www.facebook.com/#!/amokscotland
keith_amok

Postby thrash metal maniac on Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:03 pm

Metal Iain wrote:Every other decent '70s band was trying to rip off Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin?

Are you deaf or something?!

Bad Company, BOC, Boston, Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Free, Journey, Kiss, Queen, Supertramp, The Eagles, Thin Lizzy, ZZ Top? I don't see any evidence whatsoever of these bands trying to rip off Black Sabbath, Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin. Why would they need to? They were too good to even consider it.

:lol: I love you Iain, well done for making a list of great 70s rock bands that I like!!! Although I could easily not listen to Boston, Mac or Supertramp.. even though they do have cracking tracks, the majority of their stuff is definately switch-this-off-and-put-some-metal-on-already music for me!!!

Out of interest, what do you actually think about the first 4 Sabbath albums? and why?

Also, thrash is poncey? Why didn't you say sooner?!?! I think I'll just go and put on my platforms, glittery PVC catsuit, lipstick, eyeliner, other make up, oh, and tease my hair into a big gay fluff, then pose like a girl and play sone 3 chord rock about how much i love some chick who probably isn't even real!!!

:dance:
thrash metal maniac

Postby Metal Iain on Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:58 pm

thrash metal maniac wrote:
Metal Iain wrote:Every other decent '70s band was trying to rip off Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin?

Are you deaf or something?!

Bad Company, BOC, Boston, Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Free, Journey, Kiss, Queen, Supertramp, The Eagles, Thin Lizzy, ZZ Top? I don't see any evidence whatsoever of these bands trying to rip off Black Sabbath, Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin. Why would they need to? They were too good to even consider it.

:lol: I love you Iain, well done for making a list of great 70s rock bands that I like!!! Although I could easily not listen to Boston, Mac or Supertramp.. even though they do have cracking tracks, the majority of their stuff is definately switch-this-off-and-put-some-metal-on-already music for me!!!

Out of interest, what do you actually think about the first 4 Sabbath albums? and why?

Also, thrash is poncey? Why didn't you say sooner?!?! I think I'll just go and put on my platforms, glittery PVC catsuit, lipstick, eyeliner, other make up, oh, and tease my hair into a big gay fluff, then pose like a girl and play sone 3 chord rock about how much i love some chick who probably isn't even real!!!

:dance:

You don't love those bands, they're not throbbing cocks. The fact that you single out Boston, Fleetwood Mac (actually better than Whitesnake) and Supertramp as the ones you like least speaks volumes for your music taste.

The first Black Sabbath album bored the Hell out of me. I remember my dad first playing that album and my mum and I thinking 'God, what is this tripe?! Stick Blondie back on!'. I did sort of 'get into' Black Sabbath when I was obsessed with all things guitar and actually played three songs off the second album (Iron Man, Paranoid and War Pigs) in a pub band for ages. I always hated Masters of Reality and could never understand the 'people' who thought Sweet Leaf was actually good. And as for Volume 4, is there an album so regularly cited as a classic that just isn't?

I've yet to find one!

Denise Richards, Donna D'Errico, Heather Locklear, Pamela Anderson, Tawny Kitaen...

You would cut your legs off to have sex on tap in a relationship with any of those women, let alone a combination. If you had been in a 'Hair' band, all you'd have to have done is 'just go and put on your platforms, glittery PVC catsuit, lipstick, eyeliner, other make up, oh, and tease your hair into a big gay fluff, then pose like a girl and play sone 3 chord rock about how much I love some chick who probably isn't even real!!!'

Mind you, seeing as the vast majority of 'Hair' bands are more technically proficient than the majority of Thrash bands, I think you'd probably suffer when it comes to playing '3 chord rock'.

I tell you, if it were a choice between looking stupid (as if the denim and leather thing looks good) and playing in a band that covered the Postman Pat theme, badly, I know which I'd choose...

Get your hair cut, or at least get it feathered and highlighted.
Metal Iain

Postby MartinC on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:10 pm

=D>
MartinC

Postby thrash metal maniac on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:04 am

what is actually wrong with you Iain? I didn't even say I loved those bands.. read.. the word 'like' :wink: and the fact I singled those 3 bands out is, unlike you, i don't really have a point to prove and those bands are bands that i dont really like, so why bother pretending to like them?

Black Sabbath are a great band and judging by your 'experince' of listening to them, you, sir, are a complete n00b!!!! MasterS of reality ffs :wall: :lol:

And this bit is actually priceless!!!! :lol:

Metal Iain wrote:Denise Richards, Donna D'Errico, Heather Locklear, Pamela Anderson, Tawny Kitaen...

You would cut your legs off to have sex on tap in a relationship with any of those women, let alone a combination. If you had been in a 'Hair' band, all you'd have to have done is 'just go and put on your platforms, glittery PVC catsuit, lipstick, eyeliner....

Oh yeah, back in the day.. before we were even 4 years old... :doh:

also, don't you think it's just a tad sad and deluded to think that those chicks boned the hair metal guys for their looks alone?? these guys were multi millionaires with vast quantities of drugs and booze.. think again sonny!!!

Mind you, seeing as the vast majority of 'Hair' bands are more technically proficient than the majority of Thrash bands, I think you'd probably suffer when it comes to playing '3 chord rock'.

I tell you, if it were a choice between looking stupid (as if the denim and leather thing looks good) and playing in a band that covered the Postman Pat theme, badly, I know which I'd choose...

oh yeah, sorry Iain, i ONLY play thrash on my guitar.. i'm not a musician interested in every form of music.. of course not (you're an idiot!!!)

I don't think you really get it do you? the Postman Pat theme is a JOKE (ever heard of one of them?), and we recorded it in one take whilst pissed up in the studio, hence it sounding absolutely shit!!! and yeah, we don't give a shit! maybe if you took the time to get to know people you might even know where they're coming from. eh?

Why should I get my hair cut? It's not like it lessens my chances of getting 'birds'... and hot ones at that!!! And feathering and layering is SO gay, I'm actually shocked that you even suggested it!!!
thrash metal maniac

Postby thrash metal maniac on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:06 am

brilliant
thrash metal maniac

Postby Lev on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:33 am

Iains from Scotland, he's probably pissed.
James wrote:This Facebook notification says it all really:

Martin James Crawford became a fan of Heretic (1 fan).
Lev