Welcome to UK Thrash!

The Giving Pledge

For all off topic discussion

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Re: The Giving Pledge

Postby radioactive rik on Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:55 pm

rich people can afford to give to charity. poor people are poor so they might aswell save some money by leeting the rich sort out the charity money.
as for the whole live aid,world aid concert thing + comic relief,it would be cool if the rich presenters/performers would just shut up asking us for money and just donate a million quid each every year instead of hypocritically doing a song or a joke then asking us to cough up our cash.
the money wasted on Wogan sums it all up nicely.and as for the other celebs who arent paid for these things,why dont they just give from thier bank rather than having to parade on our tv's and in our media.
the money wasted on fuel to get these celebs to the gigs/tv studios could have rebuilt a community elsewhere.
anyway,i would give to charity but if i had a direct debit of £2 a month for all the various donation ads guilt tripping us into giving,then i myself would be in poverty after a chunk of cash get deducted from my average payday.
however im not completely selfish,i will always put all my coppers and majority of silvers from my wallet into a cancer/childcare etc,money pot whenever i see one at a tillpoint.and i do buy the occasional vhs tapes from charity shops now and again.
ImageImage
radioactive rik

Postby STD_Caps on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:17 pm

Oh yeah, and Tony Blair - what a cunt!
"And what about the churches and all their wealth
There's an unseen fortune under their belts
Are golden temples a symbol of God's way
This horde of wealth is a sickening display"
STD_Caps

Postby jonny_boy34 on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:57 pm

I don't have anything against these famous people using their fame and what-not to get the message out there. There's nothing wrong with getting the general public to think of others and what's going on outside the world of their iPhones.

But of course these celebrities are also usually the annoying wankers who are just trying to boost their profile, which is the flipside to the coin. But even if they are being selfish and not giving out as much as they could, it doesn't hurt to help spread the message. That's why I don't really mind Bob Geldof that much, even though I do find the whole scale of these Live8-style events completely over the top - it doesn't have to take Pink Floyd reuniting to make people realise that people in other parts of the world are under-privileged... I don't know, I'm a bit undecided about effective this 'spreading awareness' thing is anyway. It's indisputable that a massive event like that does make people aware of the cause, but for how long do they really care? As soon as Big Brother's back on the TV, they've all forgotten about Africa and they get back to their own stupid celebrity-obsessed world. I hate those people a lot more than rich people.
jonny_boy34