Welcome to UK Thrash!

Favourite Metal Genre (apart from thrash)

General music discussion

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

What's your favourite metal genre?

Death Metal
26%
Traditonal black metal
16%
Symphonic black
No votes
Power Metal
16%
Heavy Metal
39%
Metalcore
3%

Total votes : 31

Postby Bestial Bill on Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:44 pm

thrash metal maniac wrote:The production shouldn't have to give the music atmosphere anyways, the music itself and the tone/settings of the instruments should give it all the atmosphere and feeling...

:rockdevil:

I'm sorry, but that is total nonsense. For a start, whether you record digitally or onto tape is going to affect the sound massively; that's why a lot of modern records sound very sterile and lifeless, and why a lot of classic 70s and 80s records have more warmth and character. Different studios, with different equipment made a great difference to the records, but now everyone uses stock digital software.

Also, isn't the tone of the instruments a production issue to some degree? Are you telling me that something like early Mayhem or Darkthrone would sound as cryptic, obscure and stygian if it had a polished Dimmu Borgir style production?
'Summon the cleansing of this world! Armageddon unleashed upon Earth!'
Bestial Bill

Postby thrash metal maniac on Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:59 pm

I only said "it SHOULDN'T have to"....

That's my opinion :D all the points you made are right but I'm not really one to care about production, lots of stuff is horribly done but the music is great and that's all that matters!!!!

Hahaha imagine 1st wave BM with really imba production :P Seriously though, that is true, but I'm sure the production was bad quality (well produced though..) because they couldn't get anything better than what they had!!!! And that's the point I'm trying to make! When using tapes to record, it WILL make it sound more old fashioned than if recorded digitally, obviously... but I think it sounds good either way! :)

If that makes sense... :eyes: on the hangover madly today....

:rockdevil:
thrash metal maniac

Postby Bestial Bill on Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:30 pm

Heh, fair enough man.

The Norwegians are second wave though...
'Summon the cleansing of this world! Armageddon unleashed upon Earth!'
Bestial Bill

Postby boovidge on Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:39 pm

heavy metal hands down.

I don't listen to any Black Metal (except maybe Venom), and very little power and death metal (although Death are becoming one of my favourite bands).

NWOBHM spawned thrash and bands such as Maiden and Priest are timeless legends.
Metal Iain wrote:This board has nothing to do with the 'scene'. It's more just about 10 or so pricks who used to like Thrash that, for one reason or another, waste a lot of time posting on here.

boovidge

Postby Lee MT on Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:42 pm

'Tis a hard one but I'd say death metal, but power can be good fun and heavy metal is always going to be classic
http://www.myspace.com/apex
South East Thrash!
Lee MT

Postby keith_amok on Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:02 pm

if it aint thrash im listening to its nwobhm with a dose of hair metal and a lots of AC DC
Come to the THRASH ISLAND!!!!!!!!

SCOTTISH THRASH METAL - http://www.facebook.com/#!/amokscotland
keith_amok

Postby BEER CAN on Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:32 pm

AC DC

fucking hell yes! :rockdevil:
BEER CAN