Welcome to UK Thrash!

Does UK Thrash Extend past this forum?

Talk about thrash from the UK.

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Does UK Thrash Extend past this forum?

Postby origamikid on Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:28 pm

Right...so something that has come up ALOT recently, due to people talking about the purpose of this forum and i think someone brought it up in the P2P thread....but does UK thrash scene actually extend past this forum?

When you look at it the majority of the good bands atleast have a username that they occasionally post on at the very least and then apart from the odd few i really dont know any other bands in the thrash scene.

The only people i can honestly think of that i havnt seen post on here is: Warpath, Savage massiah and pitful reign....no wait...maybe not pitful reign...i think i rember some threads... but def those other 2 bands.

What does a "scene" have to be to actually be a scene? As it stands we have what 10 /15 or so good/decent uk thrash bands that are largly based within the London area or within a close northan proximity...(mostly :P lol), yet none of them tend to get together that often... i meen i dont live in london, what kind of fan base does say Damnas and Mutant, H.O.D etc.. bring in a normal gig ? Do you guys all advertise the shit out of every gig and all go to each others gigs?

I really am confused as to why people are saying that a uk thrash scene doesnt exist...when in my eyes, clearly one does...for example The london gama bomb show and then the Overkill Exodus show last month...that was full of people that were there for both of those dates.
FTA in april, even if its just like 20 of us from bands and the forum....still people of familiar interests comming together for a mutual love of metal and beer? A scene...no?
Fistful Of Metal Magazine- Coming soon .... (http://www.origamikid.wordpress.com)
UK Editor for: http://www.metal-temple.com
Blog This Shit UP: http://origamikid.wordpress.com

James wrote:I don't hate them, I just think they're a disgrace to metal.

H.O.D. Feemo wrote:I play girls aloud a lot with my walkman on while walking the dog, some chavs caught me dancing once.
Gay enough?
origamikid

Re: Does UK Thrash Extend past this forum?

Postby metaldazza on Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:41 am

For me a scene has a group of bands at it's core that all feed off of each other creatively and try new things. Helping those guys along are a group of fans that turn up to let them know when they've hit the nail on the head or fucked up.

That certainly exists but there 'seems' to be a lot more bands in London then fans atm. I've stood in the purple turtle all night and been one of the few guys who wasn't in a band. It's still a great night but it does make you wonder.

IMHO there is a bigger fan base out there but they just don't know these gigs are on and if they do stumble upon it they don't know who the bands are so they do something else on a Friday night.

You've got to remember 90% of the people that want to see Exodus are not interested in unsigned bands in small venues. They just don't see the appeal. Of course if they went to a Resilience Records xmas bash they might change their minds :)
New Metal Army - ALL the metal news from ALL the top websites in one place.
NMA on Twitter NMA on MySpace NMA on YouTube
metaldazza

Postby origamikid on Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:27 am

ha true, tbh i was thinking about it earlier and i think out of my friends from school/home etc only maybe 4 or 5 are really into there thrash and music like me, but they have not only never seen any of these unsigned thrash bands - but i dont even think they know any bands are playing at any local venues.

I think as hopefully James will agree when he pops in here - if maybe people realise there is a thrash forum...then they will discover and begin to realise there is a live scene out there! Now i think to it at the Old blue last gig...every single person i met bar maybe 3 people were all in a band from this forum ahahahaha.

Does anyone know any good thrash bands that arnt a part of this forum? Again i will cite Warpath but i only discovered them after the Terrorizer unisigned poll the other month.
Fistful Of Metal Magazine- Coming soon .... (http://www.origamikid.wordpress.com)
UK Editor for: http://www.metal-temple.com
Blog This Shit UP: http://origamikid.wordpress.com

James wrote:I don't hate them, I just think they're a disgrace to metal.

H.O.D. Feemo wrote:I play girls aloud a lot with my walkman on while walking the dog, some chavs caught me dancing once.
Gay enough?
origamikid

Postby The Fourth Norseman on Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:30 am

the real question should be;

Does life extend past this forum?
The Fourth Norseman

Postby meluaz on Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:34 am

this is how i got introduced, saw matt drake with an mutant shirt, searched on myspace, really like the clip of psycho surgery-saw a poster for a damnas ep release party which mutant were playing and went there taking a friend who doesnt even like metal and now he cant wait for the mutant ep(we jam zombie holocaust sometimes)- went to the gig, was headbanging alot for mutant, tried to start a moshpit and spilt katze beer and knocked her about 5 meters backwards(sorry) rik was headbanging to the side of me, he starts talking to me bout uk thrash and that he was gonna do a sftournament , i signed up to ukthrash that day and genuinely cried at the way people were on the forum(which many times nearly caused me to stop coming here) went to sf tournament and met some very nice lads, and then that was about it, how i got to know ukthrash and abit of peeps from here.
Image Image
MartinC wrote:HOW CAN PEARL JAM BE GOOD?! THEY ARE NOT METALLSSSS!!!1111

/Zurab
meluaz

Postby The Fourth Norseman on Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:38 am

haha, please tell me you actually didn't physically cry
The Fourth Norseman

Postby meluaz on Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:47 am

not physically but in everysingle other way possible
Image Image

/Zurab
meluaz

Postby James on Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:25 am

I love how my drunken pitch at the Damnas show has been tactfully edited out of your story Zurab. It's for the best!

I will concoct a more constructive on-topic reply later, but basically I would say that it does extend beyond an online thing yes.
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

"No Hellscourger, I would not like a strawberry."
James
Administrator

Postby meluaz on Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:51 am

james i mentioned that so many times in other threads
Image Image

/Zurab
meluaz

Postby Resilience Records on Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:44 am

James wrote:I love how my drunken pitch at the Damnas show has been tactfully edited out of your story Zurab. It's for the best!

I will concoct a more constructive on-topic reply later, but basically I would say that it does extend beyond an online thing yes.

I totally agree with james, but i would add that a couple of years ago, this forum completely was the UKThrash scene, now its just one part of it. and that is pretty cool, and not a bad thing at all, in fact very healthy and a wonderful thing. yes there is certainly a real tangible scene/community outside the forum, or at least there is in London, and from what i have seen in Birmingham and Wakefield too, obviously there is ALOT more to the UK than that, but i would assume its pretty similar in other places as well.
Heavy Metal is the Law.
Resilience Records

Postby thrashduck on Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:50 am

Indeed, I see many people at "UKThrash" gigs that aren't on the forum, or if you get get to talking to them, they'll say "Ooh I've got an account, but I never really post"... likewise, if you check out the "bands"section on here, there's quite a few still active bands that never post...

People are just bubbling under the surface.. there's a much bigger scene than you think.. although I'm pretty sure there's still people out there who know plenty of the bands, but little of the forum..
IN A BAND?! SEND ME NEWS NOW!
http://www.facebook.com/ukthrashpodcast

NEKROKANNIBAL wrote: delete this account now coz this forum is pure fuckin gay lame shit
thrashduck

Postby metaldazza on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:47 am

In this thread I tell how I went to see Devastation at Bar Monsta last year and I didn't recognise anyone there but it was packed. It was most surreal. If I remember correctly there were a lot of girls there and Zurab was most peeved by this parallel universe:

pic00102.jpg
pic00102.jpg (9.13 KiB) Viewed 348 times

So there is an extended scene outside this forum I guess.
New Metal Army - ALL the metal news from ALL the top websites in one place.
NMA on Twitter NMA on MySpace NMA on YouTube
metaldazza

Postby Povey on Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:16 pm

Tbh if you look at UKthrash in a whole, whilst it does have pockets of resistance up and down the country, nothing 'big' really has happened since last summer when GB released the Earache album/The Alldayer down London, the summer before was the Evile/ Alldayer in Birmingham.

I am guessing the highlights this year will be the Mutant EP (as its been on hold forever) and the new HOD, with FTA happening in April.

Reanimator have stopped putting on gigs for the time being, and without the UKThrash band releasing new stuff or bands coming over and playing the UK for the first time things are gonna get stale.
Povey

Postby Metal Iain on Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:59 pm

I don't think UK Thrash extends beyond this forum. If the forum didn't exist, Thrash in the UK would probably be at the exact same point it is just now, i.e. a loose association of bands and cliques of bands doing the odd gig together. In terms of actually promoting the scene, I can't really say it works for me - I knew of Amok, Evile, Gama Bomb and Mutant before I signed up here (three years on Tuesday) and can't really say I've been introduced to any other worthwhile Thrash bands since.
Metal Iain

Postby thrasherdave on Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:12 pm

The Fourth Norseman wrote:the real question should be;

Does life extend past this forum?

In mycase.... no :(
Dian Wei wrote:It's that UKT vibe, we all basically are gay for one another.
thrasherdave