Welcome to UK Thrash!

TAPE TRADING

Talk about all thrash metal.

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

TAPE TRADING

Postby Ripper on Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:24 am

Does anyone out there still practise the ancient art of tape trading? THE best way of checking out new bands (and old bands!), and spreading the word on new bands. If anyone is into it and has a decent list, let me know, I am into 80's thrash mainly and have a list of about 2000 LPs/demos etc.

If anyone has live MERCYFUL FATE tapes - contact me!!
Play fast or die
Ripper

Postby OUTLAW - Rob on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:03 pm

No I don't know anyone who does it any more, although it is an awesome idea to bring it back come to think of it!! In fact I may put some shit together, it'd probably have to be more eclectic than just pure thrash (mainly 'cause I don't know that many thrash bands at the moment) but all metal anyway.

In fact, it occurs to me, that it would be way cooler now, what with modern technology 'n' all. You could just have a list of everyone's websites on the CD (i don't even own a tape deck!) and bam! You know all you want to know about the bands in question.

Good though, like it. I should probably point out that I live in London and would therefore be tape trading there.

Rob
OUTLAW - Rob

Postby Bestial Bill on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:16 pm

I'm definitely still into it - PM sent!
'Summon the cleansing of this world! Armageddon unleashed upon Earth!'
Bestial Bill

Postby Metal Iain on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:06 pm

I just use soulseek myself.
Metal Iain

Postby Atom on Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:06 pm

Tape trading is amazing, a whole network of metal heads around the entire globe curculating awesome demos and albums! Thrash wouldnt exist without it! I think its a rad idea to bring it back but maybe with CDs so that the quality isnt lost. Down with MP3! Its great having something physical to listen to, its more of a ritual...sorry im babbling.
Atom

Postby Metal Iain on Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:46 pm

I think it's a lot quicker an easier to trade demos via the internet. If there were more forums like this kicking around then a good community would probably develop.

There's always the problem of whether or not bands want to give stuff away for free or not though...
Metal Iain

Postby Johnny Tightlips on Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:51 pm

Metal Iain wrote:I think it's a lot quicker an easier to trade demos via the internet. If there were more forums like this kicking around then a good community would probably develop.

There's always the problem of whether or not bands want to give stuff away for free or not though...

The Exodus forums are brilliant for trading. Loads of stuff flying around there.
Johnny Tightlips

Postby OUTLAW - Rob on Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:21 pm

Yeah i think it's a combination of the two. Obviously it's great that people can go to our website and listen to our songs, and it's so easy to just send an MP3. But I also agree that it's cool to have something tangible that an actual person has shoved in your hand. Plus, if it's a compilation of different bands, then you're also getting some personal opinion in there as well, gives it a bit of soul.

It's all cool though, I've got some awesome bands I'm gonna add to a CD, and if any of you guys want to send me an MP3 then that's cool too.

Rob
OUTLAW - Rob

Postby Metal Iain on Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:19 pm

Johnny Tightlips wrote:
Metal Iain wrote:I think it's a lot quicker an easier to trade demos via the internet. If there were more forums like this kicking around then a good community would probably develop.

The Exodus forums are brilliant for trading. Loads of stuff flying around there.

Yeah, if they let you into the Trade Forum.

:roll:
Metal Iain

Postby Johnny Tightlips on Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:02 pm

Metal Iain wrote:
Johnny Tightlips wrote:

Yeah, if they let you into the Trade Forum.

:roll:

As long as you don't leech too much you'll get in. Just send a request.
Johnny Tightlips

Postby Shugmaster on Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:17 pm

The Exodus trade forum sucks mainly due to the people who expect their asses to be kissed if they put anything up on it. I think Metal Iain will know the guys i am talking about. Whenever i put anything up on there i made sure people knew i wasn't expecting anything in return and that includes ass kissing. Fucking divots!!! :evil:
Shugmaster

Postby Johnny Tightlips on Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:05 pm

Shugmaster wrote:The Exodus trade forum sucks mainly due to the people who expect their asses to be kissed if they put anything up on it. I think Metal Iain will know the guys i am talking about. Whenever i put anything up on there i made sure people knew i wasn't expecting anything in return and that includes ass kissing. Fucking divots!!! :evil:

lol some of them do get worked up if you don't say thank you!
Johnny Tightlips

Postby keith_amok on Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:01 pm

yeah i fuckin hated that about the trade forum on the exo board.
Come to the THRASH ISLAND!!!!!!!!

SCOTTISH THRASH METAL - http://www.facebook.com/#!/amokscotland
keith_amok

Postby Destruction on Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:39 pm

Aye when I stick stuff on the exo board I dont expect much nice to know if people enjoyed it and what not but if they didn't no big deal would have ended up ripping the stuff and sticking on DC++ anyways :)
We Spit On Those Who Choose To Pose
We Thrash With All The Rest
Destruction

Postby Metal Iain on Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:16 pm

Shugmaster wrote:The Exodus trade forum sucks mainly due to the people who expect their asses to be kissed if they put anything up on it. I think Metal Iain will know the guys i am talking about. Whenever i put anything up on there i made sure people knew i wasn't expecting anything in return and that includes ass kissing. Fucking divots!!! :evil:

What annoyed me was the people who came in looking for copies of Impact and Force of Habit and being told to fuck off and try eBay. They're out of print and about everyone on there has them so why not get a sticky with a link to the albums. I don't think Gary would mind seeing as Capitol is screwing him out of the albums. The Heathen guys had the savy to do it themselves!

As far as I'm concerned, if the bands aren't making money from the albums they should be downloaded.

EDIT: I'm back into the Trade Forum now, nothing much in there atm.
Metal Iain