Welcome to UK Thrash!

Pedal help needed

Chat about playing musical instruments

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Pedal help needed

Postby satanic_goat_christ on Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:01 pm

I'm planning on getting myself a pedal at some point in the near future, but I have absolutely no idea where to start. Preferably I need something cheapish that'll still do ok with a shite amp, and if it'll do the Swedish death metal sound then even better. Any ideas?
satanic_goat_christ

Re: Pedal help needed

Postby Bongwater on Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:22 am

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=228776

Its £80 but you can get a range of tones from a open mid rock and roll to the crunchy low mid black metal sound and all joy inbetween

only thing thats rubbish is that you cant adjust the gain, but in metal, who needs that?

Behringer pedals are cheap
Bongwater

Postby satanic_goat_christ on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:05 pm

Cheers for that, looks perfect. I never have the gain at anything other than full anyway, so shouldn't be a problem.
satanic_goat_christ

Postby meluaz on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:02 am

no get boss mt-2, ill lend mine to ya and try it....
Image Image
MartinC wrote:HOW CAN PEARL JAM BE GOOD?! THEY ARE NOT METALLSSSS!!!1111

/Zurab
meluaz

Postby Holy Crap! Lions! on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:31 pm

Boss Mt-2

Holy Crap! Lions!

Postby crossofiron on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:08 pm

I would listen to them yourself before making a decision, also match the pedal to the amp.

I'd look for an old ibanez pedal, the tubescreamer is an overdrive good for amps with some natural crunch but some of the distortion pedals from the 80's sound brilliant. Steer clear of boss metalzone unless your ears are made of cloth.

There are some quite nice sounding pedals with a real valve preamp which can perk up a tranny amp.

I like a chunky 'master of puppets' riff sound but also clear and defined so you can hear all the strings, some pedals sound a bit mushy when you crank the distortion up.
crossofiron

Postby satanic_goat_christ on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:30 pm

Yeah, from the minor bit of research I've done the metal zone sounds like one to avoid, and seeing the only amp I've got is a Roland minicube practise one matching the pedal to the amp probably wouldn't be a good idea. I'll give the Ibanez one a shot next time I'm anywhere near a decent guitar shop, but price is gonna be the main issue at the moment what with Bolt Thrower and Obituary coming up.
satanic_goat_christ

Postby crossofiron on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:15 am

That roland amp is pretty good you know, remember you are shelling out the money so it is quite acceptable to bring your amp with you, I did when trying out some different cabs. Try to avoid saturdays as music shops get really busy.
crossofiron