Welcome to UK Thrash!

Warhammer

For all off topic discussion

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Re: Warhammer

Postby Lev on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:20 pm

I'm off into town to post off your Warhammer bits James, photos when you're done yeah? Yeah.
James wrote:This Facebook notification says it all really:

Martin James Crawford became a fan of Heretic (1 fan).
Lev

Postby James on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:23 pm

Yeah I would be quite nervous about mixing, especially when it's like "20:80 ink and water" or all that bollocks! That double water jar idea is good though, I remember having water that had a film of boltgun metal over it! Do you paint straight out of the pot then, or do you use anything as a pallette, like a piece of old tile?

Despite what I said about the mixing, I do think it can be helpful to water down paint a little bit if you are covering large areas, because it spreads more easily and it doesn't look so thick. But that doesn't matter so much about looking super consistent because you will probably add things to it later.
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

"No Hellscourger, I would not like a strawberry."
James
Administrator

Postby James on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:24 pm

Lev - Pulverizer wrote:I'm off into town to post off your Warhammer bits James, photos when you're done yeah? Yeah.

They are destined for my 'bits box' for now, but they may well come in useful at a later date, so I will keep track of them.
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

James
Administrator

Postby radioactive rik on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:46 pm

James wrote:Yeah I would be quite nervous about mixing, especially when it's like "20:80 ink and water" or all that bollocks! That double water jar idea is good though, I remember having water that had a film of boltgun metal over it! Do you paint straight out of the pot then, or do you use anything as a pallette, like a piece of old tile?

Despite what I said about the mixing, I do think it can be helpful to water down paint a little bit if you are covering large areas, because it spreads more easily and it doesn't look so thick. But that doesn't matter so much about looking super consistent because you will probably add things to it later.

yeah the inks and washes i doubt i will try.its not like im entering the golden demon so i dont wanna get too complex.

when painting,i tend to just have a jamjar of water and a bit of tissue.yeah when using one colour regularly wetting the brush(after youve used all the paint on the brush from the dip in the pot)keep the paint from thickening or the brush from sticking together.thing is the colour can be runny with too much water so i tend to dab the tip of the brush across the tissue before dipping into the pot for my next blob of paint.
the paints are so much better than 10-12years ago so they tend to spread a lot more smoothly/evenly straight onto the model these days.
i find its usually the 2nd coat which sometimes needs a little touch up/re coat in some areas to just even it out or hide small areas where the first coat is still prominent/showing through.but it doesnt really happen much.i found it tended to happen on the more curved areas.but its really quite minor and is such a simple thing to sort just by going over any bits/patches you consider still too dark.im making it sound more complicated than it actually is.youll know what i mean when you come to painting your first model up and it takes just a few mins to go back over any of these bits.

also open the curtains as wide as poss and try and use a daylight bulb(this really helped me a lot) or table side lamp as the colours look different in the eve and they shine a lot more in artificial light once the outdoor/window light has dissapeared.
with the first one or 2models i had a problem where i still thought the coats were too dark so kept reapplying,then the next morning they were way too thick/bright with paint and looked so much lighter/bold.
basicly the evening light decieves you and alters the appearance of them,tricking you into painting parts you think are still too dark when in fact they already have a decent coat already but due to not being in daylight they appear darker.
and its even harder to see what you are painting without pure daylight especially with a black undercoat.
ImageImage
radioactive rik

Postby James on Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:36 pm

I do actually recommend inks, they are a good way of achieving certain things quite easily. For example, a wash of ink over some armour you have coloured various shades of the same colour can help to blend it all into a smooth transition. Then once the ink is dried you can do a few final highlights.

Also it is brilliant for things like faces, as it gets into all the recesses and gives their expressions depth. The important thing is not to use it instead of painting techniques, but as well as them. Once a face has been inked you should then highlight a bit more otherwise it doesn't really look finished. It's also up to you how much you water the ink down, and you dont really have to achieve the same mix each time because it doesn't really change the colour of it.

James
Administrator

Postby Craig on Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:47 pm

I shall probably end up buying a load of Eldar soon enough, I'd actually quite enjoy doing it properly rather than just covering them with paint. Having said that, they'll probably still look crap :lol:.

One thing I've yet to decide is which Craftworld colours to use - I did paint my old Eldar in Saim-Hann colours (red, black and white) and I think I may do the same again, as I think they're a pretty nice Craftworld - emphasis is on Fast Attack units (mostly Jetbikes and Shining Spears) and personally I prefer painting vehicles coz there's not an awful lot of detail :lol:.

They've also got quite a good scope for conversions (I did make a Warlock Jetbike that I was particularly proud of). Unfortunately all my old Eldar are now with some insanely obnoxious little shit whose mum happens to be in the same amateur dramatic group as mine. Git :evil: .
Personal Site | Freelance Web Design | Last.fm

Bash.org wrote:<Patrician|Away> what does your robot do, sam
<bovril> it collects data about the surrounding environment, then discards it and drives into walls
Craig
Administrator

Postby James on Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:52 pm

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

James
Administrator

Postby James on Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:52 pm

......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

James
Administrator

Postby Craig on Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:56 pm

0h ..... dear ..... God. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh btw James, thanks for putting my site up :evil: . I've only just read back through the thread and found it. Git.
Personal Site | Freelance Web Design | Last.fm

Bash.org wrote:<Patrician|Away> what does your robot do, sam
<bovril> it collects data about the surrounding environment, then discards it and drives into walls
Craig
Administrator

Postby James on Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:14 pm

Well you can't say it's off topic! :P

James
Administrator

Postby TORSO on Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:23 pm

DEATH KORPS OF KRIEG

INTO THE REACTOR!
TORSO

Postby radioactive rik on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:54 pm

i find these steel legion models similar to the above death korps models.

they have recently re-released a lot of the mid 90s(95-96) imperial guard(some of the best in my opinion) such as steel legion,mordian iron guard,ice warriors of valhalla,tallarn desert raiders etc
ImageImage
radioactive rik

Postby James on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:57 pm

It may seem like a contradiction but another 40K army I think are totally cool are DAEMONHUNTERS! They are really expensive to buy but you don't need many of them to have an army, and I think the theme of them is really cool - ultra-pure, fearless superhumans trying to cleanse the galaxy of everything daemonic! Some of their models kick arse too.

Although I think I would paint them a non-metallic greyish white. I always lean away from painting schemes exactly how they are shown in the pictures, I like putting my own angle on it.

(by the way those five terminators cost THIRTY FIVE POUNDS! :wall: :wall: )

James
Administrator

Postby radioactive rik on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:13 am

"buy it now" on ebay is the best place to get the current range stuff for a couple of quid cheaper than the rrp.in some cases quite a lot cheaper for example i got the catachan and cadian battleforce for £40 each inc p+p,instead of £50 from my local store plus bus/train fares on top.
besides,it takes a few mins on ebay compared to the 30min each way trek into the neighbouring town.

ebay is lazy,efficeient and saves you money,plus its like christmas when the postman bring your orders!
ImageImage
radioactive rik

Postby James on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:20 am

I've had a look on Ebay for some Chaos plastics, and it does seem like there is a saving of a few quid to be made on most things (plus no travel expenses, as you say). There is even the odd super-bargain where someone is auctioning off complete vehicle sprues starting at about 99p. Just got to be there at the right time!

On the other hand, I do think I will need to go into an actual store if I start up again, mainly because I want to see exactly what colour paints I will be getting (I plan to get around 15 colours).

James
Administrator