Welcome to UK Thrash!

Kiss?!?

General music discussion

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Postby Darkweasel on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:40 pm

ribbons69 wrote:Back in the late 80's me and my mates used to get pissed on Friday nights and sing "Heavens on Fire" in the street on the way back from the pub.

Cracking tune. Great band.
Also, from the 80s have: Lick it Up, War Machine, And On the 8th Day, Tears are Falling, I Love it Loud, Thrills in the Night & Hide Your Heart.

I'd list some of their best 70s stuff but there just isn't enough room.
Darkweasel

Postby thrash metal maniac on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:35 pm

Metal Iain wrote:And, whilst on the subject, is there anything more poncey than Thrash?

'We use Wikipedia as our source for our rants against politics and organised religion, claim we're heavy drinkers but Def Leppard would actually drink us under the table and fuck about with skateboards whilst wearing TMNT T-shirts'.

Pathetic!

:lol: Yeah I'm sure everyone on this forum does that regularly :roll:

Once again Iain, you claim complete idiocy on the person you're trying to make an argument with, then show nothing but when you reply!!!!

Also, how can you say Sabbath are run-of-the-mill when every other decent 70s band was trying to rip off them/Deep Purple/ Led Zeppelin?!?!
thrash metal maniac

Postby Metal Iain on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:32 pm

thrash metal maniac wrote:
Metal Iain wrote:And, whilst on the subject, is there anything more poncey than Thrash?

'We use Wikipedia as our source for our rants against politics and organised religion, claim we're heavy drinkers but Def Leppard would actually drink us under the table and fuck about with skateboards whilst wearing TMNT T-shirts'.

Pathetic!

:lol: Yeah I'm sure everyone on this forum does that regularly :roll:

Once again Iain, you claim complete idiocy on the person you're trying to make an argument with, then show nothing but when you reply!!!!

Also, how can you say Sabbath are run-of-the-mill when every other decent 70s band was trying to rip off them/Deep Purple/ Led Zeppelin?!?!

What I said was just an example. You may not be into skateboarding or TMNT but I'm sure you'll revel is some other stupid personality trait of being a Thrash nut. Calling music 'poncey' is one in itself I suppose and it's largely what I based my response on because Thrash is, in no way, shape or form, 'hard' or whatever you consider the antonym of 'poncey' to be.

Every other decent '70s band was trying to rip off Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin?

Are you deaf or something?!

Bad Company, BOC, Boston, Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Free, Journey, Kiss, Queen, Supertramp, The Eagles, Thin Lizzy, ZZ Top? I don't see any evidence whatsoever of these bands trying to rip off Black Sabbath, Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin. Why would they need to? They were too good to even consider it.

This is half my problem with Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin; so many people cite them as the great bands of the '70s and just stare vacantly at you when you talk about other bands from the decade. They'll invariably know one or two of their songs and more or less write them off as one hit wonders, as you do with Boston, but they'll seldom have an appreciation of their back-catalogue. It's really no better than saying that the Big Four are the be all and end all of Thrash.
Metal Iain

Postby STD_Caps on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:42 pm

Iain, you are opinionated no one can deny you that. Pity a lot of what you say is considered crap by the majority of people on this board.

A lot of the bands you list are pretty good in fairness but they don't surpass the bands you're dismissing when you come from a METAL perspective over a ROCK (whether, it's light, hard, stadium or any other kind) perspective. All the bands you have named do not have as many 'must-have' albums (1-4) from someone from a rock perspective (if they're being honest and not crazy-obsessives) compared to Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin (5 as a minimum each). Considering your taste is coming from such a different area, maybe you should refrain from the 'Black Sabbath is turgid crap' or whatever...
"And what about the churches and all their wealth
There's an unseen fortune under their belts
Are golden temples a symbol of God's way
This horde of wealth is a sickening display"
STD_Caps

Postby STD_Caps on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:44 pm

Oh and I find KISS largely uninteresting and really only having merit when I'm pissed. And even then maybe it's only a half-merit. Very meh, in my opinion.
STD_Caps

Postby Metal Iain on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:32 pm

STD_Caps wrote:Iain, you are opinionated no one can deny you that. Pity a lot of what you say is considered crap by the majority of people on this board.

To be fair, the majority of people on this board like Dark Angel...

God, remember their cover of Immigrant Song?

DON'T TRY IT RON!

STD_Caps wrote:A lot of the bands you list are pretty good in fairness but they don't surpass the bands you're dismissing when you come from a METAL perspective over a ROCK (whether, it's light, hard, stadium or any other kind) perspective. All the bands you have named do not have as many 'must-have' albums (1-4) from someone from a rock perspective (if they're being honest and not crazy-obsessives) compared to Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin (5 as a minimum each). Considering your taste is coming from such a different area, maybe you should refrain from the 'Black Sabbath is turgid crap' or whatever...

That is complete bollocks.

Neither Black Sabbath nor Led Zeppelin have three must-have albums, let alone five! Kiss, on the other hand, do: Kiss, Hotter Than Hell, Dressed To Kill, Destroyer and Love Gun. And that's only if you count the stuff from the '70s...

:dance:

Mind you, me saying Kiss have well over five must-have albums might sound as wrong to you as you saying to me that Black Sabbath have any must-have album (apart from Dehumanizer but I think we might have been through this before).

My taste isn't really coming from a different area seeing as when it comes to Metal I've been there, done that, bought a bunch of T-shirts, realised 'Holy SHIT! What am I doing?!', cut my hair, binned the T-shirts and gone back to having a more balanced music taste.

I don't really see why I need to come from any perspective either. In my opinion, a good band is a good band regardless of genre. I happen to think Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin are criminally overrated and Black Sabbath just plain dire in the same way as I rate The Smiths but not The Cure or rate Megadeth but not Morbid Saint.
Metal Iain

Postby Metal Iain on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:47 pm

STD_Caps wrote:Oh and I find KISS largely uninteresting and really only having merit when I'm pissed. And even then maybe it's only a half-merit. Very meh, in my opinion.

Come on!

Black Sabbath basically reinvigorated boring music.

*tunes to Db*

DU DU DU DU DU DU DU DUUUU! DU DU DU DU DU DU DU DUUU! DUUU!

Symptom of the Zzzz....

Whereas Kiss were using thirds at that point and singing about getting their ends away. Class acts, all the way.
Metal Iain

Postby MartinC on Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:40 am

I hate to admit it, but the bhoy makes a good argument.
MartinC

Postby Metal Iain on Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:19 pm

MartinC wrote:I hate to admit it, but the bhoy makes a good argument.

I'm not a Celtic fan.
Metal Iain

Postby Lev on Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Metal Iain wrote:
Neither Black Sabbath nor Led Zeppelin have three must-have albums, let alone five! Kiss, on the other hand, do: Kiss, Hotter Than Hell, Dressed To Kill, Destroyer and Love Gun. And that's only if you count the stuff from the '70s...

Heaven And Hell, Mob Rules, Dehumanizer. There's three.

Kiss on the other hand, have about three.......songs you can maybe like when drunk.
James wrote:This Facebook notification says it all really:

Martin James Crawford became a fan of Heretic (1 fan).
Lev

Postby Bangover on Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Lev...Better than Iain....Shitter than martin
zurabmelua wrote:heretic are absolutely shit!!!

Bangover

Postby STD_Caps on Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:15 pm

The riff on Symptom of the Universe is AMAZING! Black Sabbath essentially made the formula for the majority of music I listen to. They also wrote songs about a variety of drugs - something that's a lot more accessible to metalheads than sex. Therefore, theoretically, metallers should relate more to Sabbath themes than KISS. The problem with KISS is that their riffs don't grab me, their lyrics are lame and they are little more than heavy guitar-based pop. Sabbath's riffs grab me, they make me want to nod my head or rock out or at least listen. KISS makes me go, 'who's this?... it's alright. Not great.'

Most people that like KISS would probably say KISS, Destroyer, Love Gun are must owns.
Zeppelin fans would say the first four and Physical Graffiti.
Sabbath fans would say the first six Sabbath albums at least and probably Heaven and Hell too.
Not bollocks. I'm going from what I've seen and read in the metal press.
STD_Caps

Postby STD_Caps on Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:16 pm

No he doesn't! He shoots his mouth off. That's it...
STD_Caps

Postby MartinC on Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:40 pm

Metal Iain wrote:

I'm not a Celtic fan.

You are now.
MartinC

Postby BEER CAN on Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:46 pm

Bangover wrote:Lev...Better than Iain....Shitter than martin

:lol: :lol:
BEER CAN