Welcome to UK Thrash!

Warhammer

For all off topic discussion

Moderators: James, Craig, Resilience Records

Re: Warhammer

Postby James on Wed May 20, 2009 10:39 pm

I love your Eldar Rik, you're so neat with those edge highlights (did you use Warlock Purple?).

I am actually quite a lazy/impatient painter, I can't usually be bothered doing things that take ages to achieve. Perhaps that's partly why I usually paint darker models, as you don't have to get a really crisp light colour with them.

The paint job on the Ork skin worked really well though, and that was a bit more time-consuming: Basecoat of Orkhide Shade (one of the new Foundation paints - seriously Rik get hold of some of these, they go straight on in one coat easily as the pigment is so thick), then paint everything except the deepest recesses with Catachan Green. Then paint the raised areas (e.g. muscles, knuckles) with Camo Green. Then slosh lots of Thraka Green wash (basically green ink) over the whole skin area. Then go over picking out the most raised areas again with more Camo Green. Finally, for extreme edges like lips/eyebrows, very lightly drybrush Rotting Flesh.

By the way the skin was the last thing painted on those Orks, apart from the bases. That way you can paint right up to the edges of the things you've already painted (e.g. wristbands) without making a mess.

This process does take a while, but once you get into a production line mentality it is still quite quick and easy. I think a good 75% of a good paint job is knowing what you're doing and what will work, not necessarily spending ages on it with a really steady hand. Although those Eldar models do testify to these two points as well!
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

"No Hellscourger, I would not like a strawberry."
James
Administrator

Postby radioactive rik on Wed May 20, 2009 11:20 pm

yeah,good guess James.i used warlock purple for the edges and liche purple for the main coat.
you sure know your colours :)

P.S.wicked orks too.

"Blazin squad"...that gets full approval from the pun master himself! :wink:
ImageImage
radioactive rik

Postby MartinC on Fri May 22, 2009 10:39 pm

I love your Eldar Rik, you're so neat with those edge highlights (did you use Warlock Purple?).

If my girlfriend knew I came on this forum...
MartinC

Postby James on Fri May 22, 2009 11:07 pm

:lol: Yeah this thread does ebb pretty low.
thrashduck wrote:And the internet was without uk thrash form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of James moved upon the face of the waters.

James
Administrator

Postby H.O.D. Feemo on Sat May 23, 2009 9:16 am

I walked past Warhammer yesterday laughing at the geeks playing the games, then I laughed at the irony that I was carrying a load of new transformers comics to read on my own. At least they speak to other people.

Those in glass houses...
H.O.D. Feemo

Postby James on Sun May 24, 2009 8:19 pm

Finally bothered to do something with this tank, which has been lying around in a box since xmas:

I generally hate painting vehicles, but I've done some things to make it more interesting:

The filthy cauldron in the roof:

I'd also like to try giving it a cool rusty paintjob in certain areas, a bit like this:

James
Administrator

Postby meluaz on Sun May 24, 2009 9:02 pm

im trying to decide what chaos army to get...
Image Image
MartinC wrote:HOW CAN PEARL JAM BE GOOD?! THEY ARE NOT METALLSSSS!!!1111

/Zurab
meluaz

Postby James on Sun May 24, 2009 9:09 pm

I would obviously recommend Nurgle, as the conversions are endless and you can go for a really grimey paint job. But if I had to collect an alternative Chaos army, it would definitely be Word Bearers - I think they're awesome how they are so devout and pious, but in the name of evil. You could do some really gothic blasphemous conversions with them. The main thing that puts me off them is their dull red paint scheme. I'd still love to create a few Word Bearer special characters though, like their 'Dark Apostles' or whatever they're called.

James
Administrator

Postby Dian Wei on Sun May 24, 2009 9:14 pm

Don't get chaos, they're for gay boys.
Gee.... I don't know about the rest of you guys, but lately the only things that truly motivate me are erections and bowel movements.

Thank the Police coming straight from the underground...
Dian Wei

Postby meluaz on Sun May 24, 2009 10:35 pm

oh come on how can chaos be for gay boys? tau suck, necrons are boring(annoying as hell to play against), elder are fucking futuristic elves and elves are gay, imperial guard are puny humans, space marines arnt evil enough...chaos is the best!!
Image Image

/Zurab
meluaz

Postby Dian Wei on Sun May 24, 2009 10:42 pm

Nah.
Gee.... I don't know about the rest of you guys, but lately the only things that truly motivate me are erections and bowel movements.

Dian Wei

Postby MartinC on Sun May 24, 2009 11:10 pm

Chaos Space Marines are wicked. I also liked the new tyranids when they came out, when the Carnifex looked like a rhino. There were endless conversions you could make with Tyranids - I used to use Skaven tails as tentacles and make them come out of people's eyes and stuff.
MartinC

Postby meluaz on Sun May 24, 2009 11:45 pm

MartinC wrote:Chaos Space Marines are wicked. I also liked the new tyranids when they came out, when the Carnifex looked like a rhino. There were endless conversions you could make with Tyranids - I used to use Skaven tails as tentacles and make them come out of people's eyes and stuff.

thats funny, i always thought necrons and tyranids were least convertable
Image Image

/Zurab
meluaz

Postby MartinC on Mon May 25, 2009 4:02 am

You're the least convertable.
MartinC

Postby Dian Wei on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:48 pm

Done anything warhammery recently James?

Dian Wei